6.9/7.3 headers?

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted before but The website for Stans-Headers, this feller makes headers for the ih diesel...
well does anyone have them?

do they increase horsepower by much?

lower egt's?

help turbo spool?

they seem to look pretty legit and im interested in them and would like to hear the sound difference in them also!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are for na applications
i got a guy making me manifold flanges to custom fab what ever you want
but the stans headders are like a long tube header they are low down by the oilpan bottom

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back-pressure might be an issue. Cat told me NOT to put straight pipes on my last truck {07 twin turbo C-15 } Single turbo is ok. They said it was a back-pressure issue, IDK.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sweet well why couldnt you use a turbo with them?
tuned headers serve and a inverse to what a turbo needs. headers cool the outgoing exhaust charge to "pull" the next pulse. Turbos want a "hot" exhaust pulse to run better. that is why you want to wrap the lead pipes into the turbo. Also, the shorter exhaust run into the turbo, the shorter the lag before boost.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that and the simple fact that they exit back and bottom of motor unless youre doing a remote mount youll have a huge pipe mess with a few crush pipes and lots of bends

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tuned headers serve and a inverse to what a turbo needs. headers cool the outgoing exhaust charge to "pull" the next pulse. Turbos want a "hot" exhaust pulse to run better. that is why you want to wrap the lead pipes into the turbo. Also, the shorter exhaust run into the turbo, the shorter the lag before boost.

then whats the purpose of an intercooler/aftercooler doesnt it apply to lower intake and exhaust temps? the cooler the engine air going in and out would be ideal for sufficient horsepower...such as the N14 cummins engines use along with mack and detroit 60 series? just sayin i work on these things all day and i wouldnt mind being the guinea pig for everyone and trying these out and making a write up on turbo installation with headers

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you want heat and pressure to spool the turbo after that you want to loose it but this exhaust heat is needed to build boost but it will heat the intake air too which is not good so an intercooler cools intake air not the exhaust
but think like this hot air expands the hotter the more its expanding and in the enclosed space of the pipe it can only go faster to get out of the pipe making youre turbo spool quicker and longer and spin faster building earlier and more boost
so you want intake as cool as possible and exhaust as hot as possible in theroy

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wat headers turbo and muffler?
you want as little back pressure as possible on a diesel

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting stuff folks
I"m getting ready to do the exhaust on my 250 XLT 7.3 and I'm leaning towards headers and flowmasters

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Stans headers on my 86 6.9 with 3 in daul exhaust and dynomax ultraflow bullet mufflers. I am planing on dynoing at the rally so I can see exactly how much she is putting out.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is a company that makes remote mount turbo kits for gasser motors and they perform very well. the turbos are even mounted at the rear of the vehicle. Lots of plumbing to mess with. They installed and tested one on Horsepower tv a while back. It was on a Camaro and they were very surprised as they too talked about the heat issue to spool the turbo. I think it may be optimal to have them as close as possible, but they still work very well along way back.
I don't remember the name of the company, but I think they make a universal kit. If you searched remote turbo I think you would find the link.

Jeff

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so who makes a nice cheap set of headers for my 91 7.3

Stans are listed at $551 and seems to be the best price I've found so far