JOHN WOODS?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oppions and examples of JOHN WOODS' work? I called him and may be able to get it done while Im in town for sandy turkey.....

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
He's THE tranny guy from all reports...
have heard he's hard to get a hold of though since taking on Biava's SCT tuning....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I have heard of John....what seperates him from Brian at BTS?

Not flaming nor bashing ;Sweet I have only recently heard about John.......

I'm a gear rower so it matters none to me but just courious :D

BJS

Reaction score
Honestly I think that the secrets of building a very strong E4OD or 4r100 are becoming much more common for those in the trans business. The pieces are readily available from what I understand and it's pretty much common knowledge of what fails and what needs to be upgraded. It's just a matter of who does it.

I haven't heard of john woods for the auto trannies as much as I've heard about his driveshafts in offroading circles. Only very recently have I heard his name mentioned for the auto tranny.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
I have heard of John....what seperates him from Brian at BTS?

Geo,

I dont know what if anything seperates the two, in my mind it is similar to the Bean vs Swamp's on the injector side of things. Its all about competition and this Woods fella seems to be kicking out quality work. ;Sweet

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40 said:
This man is real good on Fords http://www.brianstruckshop.com/index.html is this the
Brian you were speaking of? Hope you can get it fixed real soon.

Yeah thats the brian. When I talked to john, he said something that sorta stuck. he said "it was easy to make a sled pullin/drag racein tranny. Open everythign up real big and you'll never see it come back. The weekend warriors racing thier daily drivers/tow rigs is where it gets tougher." (not exact quote). Yeah I think all the parts/fixes are known about by now. i think what separates these guys (brian/john and other race builders) is the ammount of machining they do. I have atlked to local guys and they wont tell you what parts thier useing and what thier going to do to it. No way am I gunna trust these guys with it. A billit shaft is NOT on thier menu. From what i understand the diffrence in john and brians work is in the machining and in the torq converter. John uses a new 6.0 converter from ford, then makes it his own. I understand brian uses rebuilds. I think for me, if john warrentees his stuff like Brian does, I'll end up useing john because its plain easier to get to CA than AR. Im goin to glamis for thanksgiving anyway...

Now the disclaimer.....
***********I am NEITHER a tranny guy OR have done a LOT of reasearch. I have only had 1 conversation with both brian and john. I have only read tidbits on brians tranny and nothin on johns.****************

Ggg

Reaction score
As far as I know John is a late comer in the Diesel trans world but I have heard only good praise of his work. The reputation of BTS speaks for itself. Just to clear one thing up BTS does not use any rebuilt products, torque converter or otherwise.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
bct,

He know's his stuff, he's honest, and he stands behind his products. In todays world that's about as good as it'll get.

Mark @ DPPI

your2slow

Reaction score
From everything I've read about John and Brian I don't think anyone will be disappointed with either. I've talked to Brian about a valve body and he was extremely helpful. He answered every question I had and just told me to let him know when I needed it he would ship it out the same day.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very helpfull, thanks guys. Now I just have to re-fi the freakin HOUSE to pay for one!

Thats no joke, I consolodating and this is one of the goodies Im gettin....

Only 3 more payments and this TATOO IS MINE!

Strictly Diesel

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Ggg said:
Just to clear one thing up BTS does not use any rebuilt products, torque converter or otherwise.
In addition, if you go back for service later and Brian updates your trans (which he does for FREE for in most cases)...it's highly likely that you'll even be driving out with a new (fresh from the box) Torque Convertor. I can't say that he does that in every case, but I know he's done it a bunch.

Having had a BTS trans, and having spend hours at BTS watching them being built, there is NOBODY else that will be building a trans for me...FWIW.

sassyrel

Reaction score
theres also another gent in ok that knows what hes doing--and can build it just as strong as bts--goes by the handle of ritcher69 on the tds forums--in the 94-97 group--hes good---and i believe somewhat less than bts---

Last edited:

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent hear much about richter, except a little from here. If I get my money (insert sound of welfare momma here) before going to calif, John is prolly going to fit my schedule the best....