Its been a minutes but project "too slow" is moving along

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Hey hows it going guys?
been a while since i posted but i have been lurking and following the pump debate and the intercooler thread ,
my truck is in the body shop i managed to replace the cab corners my self but after inspecting and hitting my floor pan with a hammer to break off some rust , found the problems extended a bit further than i thought so i gave her up to a body shop, so that will be at least 2 months before i see the truck again :mad:.

but this gives me time to run my logistics, so i can gather the parts i need, but i need some advice and wisdom from the members on this forum!

Engine
Promar- long block with ported/polished heads
with a typ4 Cam promar will install it on the long block
and if promar can work it out with me ceramic coated pistons from DPS

as for studs?
does ARP now make a kit ? or are the ones from DPS just as good?
i searched ARP nada came up so I'm am lost on which to go with.
and knowledge one what i should get would be awesome.

as for the "pump"
i don't want a moose vs DPS debate just facts ;Sweet
i am planning on running 15 psi, thats all, I'm trying to keep my MPG but still have a stout engine and it seems 15 psi is the median.

will a rebuild pump from mel give me enough fuel?
or do i need a moose/DPS pump?
i am still researching the the pros and cons of the Moose/DPS pump.i just need to know if a very well rebuilt pump will provide enough fuel if it is turned up? and will the reliability/life of the pump be effected if it is turned up?

it will be intercooled and i have found a decent water/air intercooler and i might swing that way due to size, also i can find a intercooler with a decent CFM rating to match the output of our turbos.

As far as the turbo i am frickin lost lol, i know i might work on a custom piped system just need to find a good turbo that can produce the right psi that i need and be very efficient.

my tranny will be run of the mill rebuilt stocker,
now here comes my ignorance its a 4 speed with reverse is that the ZF5?

going to ditch the stock lift pump and run a FASS system i read that 7-8lbs of pressure is recommended.

and thats it,

my goal? a efficient, stout engine that will last until the body need to be restored again!

:thumbsup:

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The trans isn't a ZF-5 but either a T-18 or T-19, don't ask the difference cause' I can't halp ya there

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score

as for the "pump"
i don't want a moose vs DPS debate just facts ;Sweet
i am planning on running 15 psi, thats all, I'm trying to keep my MPG but still have a stout engine and it seems 15 psi is the median.

I'm pretty sure a stock pump can put out enough fuel to create 15psi of boost. :dunno

Just my 2 cents. :D

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a stock pump can put out enough fuel to create 15psi of boost. :dunno

Just my 2 cents. :D

sweet, thats what i am hoping :0 because i know i can get a quality rebuild from mel and as long as it pumps enough fuel then i know i can meet my goal of longevity

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't go into the pump/injector stuff. You'll have to just decide which one you want. I'm sure you know my opinion on the subject.:D

ARP makes a stud kit for the 6.9. It is a proven product, dozens and dozens of guys are using them here. Part number 150-4069. I have no experience with DPS studs. Gary (icanfixall) had them before he got some ARP's. He'll be along to share his thoughts.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
sweet, thats what i am hoping :0 because i know i can get a quality rebuild from mel and as long as it pumps enough fuel then i know i can meet my goal of longevity

Your goal is definitely reachable, with my worn out turbo pump i can hit 13psi when i lay my foot into it.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
I won't go into the pump/injector stuff. You'll have to just decide which one you want. I'm sure you know my opinion on the subject.:D

ARP makes a stud kit for the 6.9. It is a proven product, dozens and dozens of guys are using them here. Part number 150-4069. I have no experience with DPS studs. Gary (icanfixall) had them before he got some ARP's. He'll be along to share his thoughts.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

I'm must be a epic fail at using the arp site! lol i swear i didn't see it but awesome, i wanted to go with arp originally but couldn't find a part number ;Sweet

that number goes in my little black book

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey hows it going guys?...my tranny will be run of the mill rebuilt stocker,
now here comes my ignorance its a 4 speed with reverse is that the ZF5?...
:thumbsup:

Nope. Your trans is a T-19B. A bit stronger than the ZF, but lacking the overdrive. I love my T-19's, but unless they can be mated to a Gear Vendors, I'd have to vote for the ZF-5. Getting your engine RPM's down on the highway is going to be key for lowest cost operation.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Nope. Your trans is a T-19B. A bit stronger than the ZF, but lacking the overdrive. I love my T-19's, but unless they can be mated to a Gear Vendors, I'd have to vote for the ZF-5. Getting your engine RPM's down on the highway is going to be key for lowest cost operation.

is it a bolt up aplication?
even with a 4x4?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a US gear in my truck with T-19 and 4x4 and it is a bolt up deal. Always worked great while my truck was together and running.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it a bolt up aplication?
even with a 4x4?
A ZF will bolt in place of a T-19; you'll need to change out the clutch assembly, the transmission crossmember, and the floor pan insert that goes over the transmission. The 4x4 ZF and T-19 are identical lengths, so you won't have to worry about resizing driveshafts.

A GV is a bit more of an undertaking in that you'll have to resize the rear driveshaft and, unless you get lucky and find a used one with all of the electronics or purchase a new one, you'll have some wiring to do. BTW the GV goes behind the transfer case, so you can only use it in 2 wheel drive...there's also the U.S. Gear (Doug Nash) unit that goes between the tranny and the transfer case and can be used in 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive; you'll need to resize both driveshafts, and (unlike the GV's) parts cannot be purchased for the U.S. Gear units anymore...

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
I just looked up the price for a new one and im going to wait for a little bit on that. But will go the gb way eventually

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Where did you find the water/air intercooler? Couple months ago when my buddy enlightened me upon what they are I found em all over Ebay for around 160, now they are all about 340. Which is the same price they have em at http://frozenboost.com/ the descriptions and pics are even the exact same, figure I'll make one big ass list and order the intercooler kit and silicone pieces all at once as I will not be using the intake supplied by ATS.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Where did you find the water/air intercooler? Couple months ago when my buddy enlightened me upon what they are I found em all over Ebay for around 160, now they are all about 340. Which is the same price they have em at http://frozenboost.com/ the descriptions and pics are even the exact same, figure I'll make one big ass list and order the intercooler kit and silicone pieces all at once as I will not be using the intake supplied by ATS.

that is the same place i found them at and they sell all the parts you need,
1200 cfm is the closest i can find to our requirements, and i would believe that would be fine if not ill run 16 psi :dunno i like the different shapes they come in because that opens up a lot of possibility's for locations!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789