It's a Disease a tell ya!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
It's a Disease I tell ya!

So I bought my 4th IDI today

Well just an engine/tranny (6.9 C6 4x4 with transfer case) not a whole truck

I bought this for a future project I will only get to once i'm done with the F250. When the deal came up, it was to good to pass up!

Engine is a 1986 (made in April '86), has 203k km (126k miles), has a 3 year old IP and injectors, year old starter, engine oil was very clean, C6 also has very very clean oil, I did drive the truck before engine was removed, drove great! Engine is a very smooth runner, no smoke, and hardly any exhaust smell to it! So for 700$ and a 2 hour trip to get it, I think I didn't to bad at all.

I plan to drop this into my 2wd '89 F150 in the future.

Since i'm in the subject, what kind of wiring work will I need to do to make this all work. The engine is all complete. I did do some research on this, I understand I have to wire up the engine bay same as in a diesel truck, but never found an answer for in cab wiring?

I know my cluster won't all work with the gasser wiring, since the tach isn't the same....right?

Heres some pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sure dropped the rear end of my F150! Mudflaps were just an inch off the ground vs 6" with an empty bed.

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I believe the short box was off of a truck that was disassembled to use the cab on a project and is just being used because it was available. I'm sure John will chime in soon enough.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I bought that truck 2 years ago, it had no box, and at the time I had a short bed parts truck, and since I needed that truck on the road (was just retiring the Diesel F250) I decided to slap that short bed on there. It was mint and rust free when I got it, the fenders has had patch panels welded in as some point, but otherwise, it's clean.

Gives it a unique look :D Everyone always takes a 2nd stare at it as i'm going by :D

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Glad I wasn't the only one to do that today. LOL

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Oh god, if I remember correctly, I added some banjo picking to that one. That one sucked tho being on ice. Did another with my 4x4 F150 not long ago witch was much better. :D

Here we go, first time doing it with Uncle Ernie.....(yes I named the truck Uncle Ernie LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6iNjX-EL8

Last Wednesday, we had a big snow storm here dropping over a foot of heavy wet snow, and man I gotta tell ya, I burned an entire tank of gas in about 5-6 hours of having fun on the back roads, also helped out alot of stuck cars.

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Whoa, Jon.... pretty entertaining to watch for a 2WD city boy, who knows there's snow 100 miles away, but doesn't go there! cookoo

And I'm a-thinkin' that powertrain + xfer case would be a fun project in a van. Just sayin'.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
If I could find a clean full panel extended van body to swap over on my van frame, I would convert my van to 4x4. But I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTjgeubsStk&sns=em
The black one. Enjoy.

Burning up the roads in snow is what I enjoy also.
I remember a few years back I pulled out a new cummins with my 79 chevy dualy 2wd. He had two teen girls with him, needless to say, I could tell they laughed at him and he was embarrassed. Lol
He gave me $15 for the pull. I just put it in L and eased off the clutch. That was when it still had the 350 also.
Yep, that's the highlight event of my life. Feels good being in a "old beater" pulling out a cummins fanboy. LOL