It Died

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this afternoon I hooked the truck up to the 16' trailer loaded down with Fill dirt and and rocks. I backed the trailer into position to offload and put it in park. While I was inside my shop building getting my gloves the truck just died. Wouldn't fire back up up at all.

I check the Schraeder valve while my wife cranks it over and there is plenty of fuel there.

So then I notice - no smoke. That tells me that there is no fuel.
Grab the voltmeter and check the FSS. I've got 12 volts to the FSS. I unplugged it and couldn't feel the solenoid click.Plug it back in, nothing. Solenoid did not engage.Jumper wire from battery to FSS, same result. nothing.

So I've pretty well determined that the FSS is fried.

So here is my question of the day. Can just the FSS be replaced or do I have to replace the whole IP?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace the solenoid. It can even be one from a 5.7, maybe even a 6.2 or mechanical 6.5. You want to use the whole governor cover assy. probably. But you must be very very careful. Make sure you don't bend the linkage, that the cover itself has a spring action and that you do have an audible "click" from the solenoid when the lead is applied or removed if not, it could runaway and you may not be able to control it with the key. For that reason, have some other way to stop the motor, such as a smooth clipboard to clap over the intake if you can, either that or cut the fuel line.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rags in a large plastic bag works well for a run a way. If it a turbo then the smooth clipboard works fine. If it non turbo the intake center bolt hold down for the air filter will not let it seal good enough to stop the motor. Also if it does run a way you govenor will not limit the rpm. It can climb till it grenades.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your in a bind, and need to move the truck, you can take the top cover off, remove the spring from the solenoid, and put it back together. The solenoid only overcomes the spring presure. The spring is what shuts the truck off. So, once you get it started, the problem becomes how to shut it off? :D Best bet is to unscrew the fuel filter, disconnect a fuel line, or remove the top cover and push the metering valve closed with your finger. All messy propositions.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good suggestions! ;Sweet

I was lucky in that while the truck and loaded trailer were blocking my drive, my Jeep was on the 'other' side of the truck. I was able to hook a chain from the Ford to the Jeep and drag it out of the way, drop the trailer in the yard, and then tow the truck to the shop door.

Those bumper bars on the Ford bumper work great to hang an old car tire on so you can push it into the shop building with the Jeep. Down side is that the tires are great for ripping fog lamps off said jeep.-cuss

At any rate, I've got it inside under the lights. Called a buddy today who owns 3 salvage yards and procured not just the top cover assy w/ solenoid, but the entire IP Assy. FOR FREE!:thumbsup:

It's off of a '92 7.3 IDI
Hopefully it will do the trick. I'm going to wander out to the shop and put 12v to the solenoid on the 'new to me' IP and see if it actuates.

Wish me luck!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those bumper bars on the Ford bumper work great to hang an old car tire on so you can push it into the shop building with the Jeep. Down side is that the tires are great for ripping fog lamps off said jeep.-cuss

At any rate, I've got it inside under the lights.......

Um.....under the lights eh? What lights the ones ripped off:rotflmao :rotflmao

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um.....under the lights eh? What lights the ones ripped off:rotflmao :rotflmao

Not exactly, THAT light is on the floor UNDER the truck. Right where I kicked it after I cut the wire it was hanging by.:D

On a heavier note, I did get the caps on the IP switched out tonight. Have not tried to fire it up yet. Gotta replace a fusable link first. Not to mention I'm kinda nervous about it. It all went together WAY too easy.

The old FSS was definitely smoked. The new FSS itself appears to be about 1/2 inch longer than the original, but everything lined up fine. ( I think ).

I'll be firing it back up tomorrow night, I'll let you all know how things work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk