click no start Glow plug controller

idiambulance

Reaction score
My Truck died recently at idle. after some looking it seemed like my fuel shutoff solenoid was the problem. After I replaced the fss and tried to start it the glow plug controller began to smoke from the coil. I replaced it with a new glow plug controller. The amps the new unit pulled were 400ish where the old one only pulled 200-300. After the glow plug controller turns off when I tried to start it it just made a single click noise and that was it. I have no clue what to do next and I only have a week or two to keep it where it currently is.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a serious wiring problem on top of the engine. I would look over every wire on top of the engine for rubbing and being burnt through. I would also check the condition of the batteries.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the key in ignition to run position. You can alternatively run a hot wire to the fss to avoid wiring harness issues.

Learn to jump/trigger relays, or if you don't feel like it you can manually glow plug and crank starter with a screwdriver - use one you don't care about as the arcs will eat into it, bridge the two BIG posts on the GP relay for 7 seconds. Then do the same to the starter relay.

If it cranks, the starter relay was bad. If it starts, the gp relay and/or controller is bad. If it doesn't crank the starter or batteries are bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online