Is there a trick to remove bed?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Another bolt option, if you’re not going for a “perfect restoration” go get the correct size hex head bolts. Wrench on top and one on the bottom. Our 92 was that way when we got it. I thought someone was cheep or lazy..... but when we need to get to the tank senders, sent the oldest under with a wrench (he is 23 and it was his truck), me in the bed with the cordless ugga dugga and we had the bed loose in maybe 15 minutes.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using hex bolts myself for replacements currently(7/16-14), but I used two nuts to keep it vrom coming loose over time - remember, there is a rubber grommet between the bed and frame. That will
flex a bit, and could loosen the nut as you drive. So... dual nut, jammed together.
Nylocks might be a better option.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I use this for my lifting arrangement. 2x4 cut to fit snug under the bed rails. 4x4 to span the length. Doesn’t warp the bed sides in at the rear this way. Load leveler, electric hoist and gantry crane optional.

;Sweet

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there supposed to be rubber washers between the frame and the bed at all six bolt positions? :dunno
Mine has thin steel washers about 2" in diameter... or is that just a backing and the rubber part is long gone?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were called "bed to frame insulators". Basically a big nylon washer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had a couple when I pulled it the first time. Not sure where they went. I deleted them. I have graphite impregnated nylon I was going to use to make anti squeak/rattle pads if necessary. It’s what I made the ones for the leaf springs out of.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
DO NOT GRIND OFF THE HEADS
there is an internal shoulder that does NOT fall through the hole.
in short, you will **** yourself silly.
I tack weld the bolt heads to the bed instead. then I can get happy with the impact :D

this was my solution when i pulled my bed, no need to remove the weld unless some day i upgrade to the super duty bolts. i ran a short bead around part of the bolt. nothing a angle grinder cant fix in 5 min if i actually want to pull the bolts out.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using hex bolts myself for replacements currently(7/16-14), but I used two nuts to keep it vrom coming loose over time - remember, there is a rubber grommet between the bed and frame. That will
flex a bit, and could loosen the nut as you drive. So... dual nut, jammed together.
Nylocks might be a better option.

Beware that nylock nuts are NOT impact-friendly, and get stupid tight when you melt the nylon with one. Then it's a long and annoying removal with the breaker bar. Or a really big impact, maybe.

Nice idea with jamb nuts.