Is it worth it............................probably

ilpourboy

Reaction score
hello to all those out there in IDI land. Wish I had an update for you on the headgasket change, but it has just been way to cold to get any work done.
I was just wanting to get some opinions on a deal i was offered. My boss has a '85 f-250 dually(conversion i guess), 6.9, c-6, 4x4, lariat. The body is in fair shape, no major dents. The interior isn't too bad. The 6.9 is a very strong runner. I've driven this truck several times as my work truck and have pulled over #8000lbs worth of aluminum concrete forms on a 18' gooseneck trailer. :peelout It has approximately 180,000 miles. The c-6 slips pretty good, don't know what that's about yet. The d-50 ttb is out of whack. It was replaced about a year ago by 2 people that shouldn't have been any where near it, cookoo and now it eats a set of tires every 6,000 miles. It's got a big weatherguard tool box ;Sweet , goose ball, spring loaded rear bumper. It also has a few aftermarket gauges. It has an Isspro tachometer and an Isspro pyro, neither of which work(i did look to see if the thermocoupler was attached and it is not). I'm guessing the one thing that probably makes it all worth something is the gear vendor unit attached to the BW-1345. :Sly I've never used the GV due to the fact that when my boss bought the truck 3 years ago, he didn't know it had a GV :idiot: until I was trying to clean up the spaghetti bowl wiring under the dash and found a little black box that said gear vendor. By this time, the wiring for the control box had been hacked because my boss couldn't figure out why he had 2 high beam floor swithces. :rotflmao He told me to make him an offer. ;Really

Tell me what you think. If anything I'll probably get it to part it out. All I really want is to have a spare 6.9. Don't want another truck, much less one sittin around takin up space.

Sorry for the long post.
Rob

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I read your post but more just skimmed it the first time. Gear vendors sweet. I'm interested, although i probably shouldn't be spending money, how much for it?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offhand, sounds nice! :thumbsup: If you don't have a strong attachment to your truck (like some of us do cookoo), I would say buy both and make one good truck out of it, and part out the rest. Maybe get one engine in the truck and functional, while using the other to rebuild to "perfect/performance" specs :D

Just an idea...good luck!

ilpourboy

Reaction score
Yes Warden :draw I do have a strong attachment to my truck(like some of you do cookoo ). Thats what i really am leaning towards is buying the truck, yanking the engine, toolbox, and the solid rear glass(hate that damn slider) and parting out the rest. The only reason I will want to sell the GV is to recoup some of whatever $ is spent on the truck. I don't know too much about GV or what they are worth. I saw the insane amount of $ they want for a new one, but I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near that nor am I expecting to. Where can i find out how much it is worth or what units like this have been going for? What do you guys think i should expect to pay for the truck?

thanks.
Rob

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, the GV unit is worth a pretty penny...as was mentioned earlier, talk to EZ about it. I don't know what the ballpark figure is for a used one, but IIRC I was looking at somewhere around $600 for a used U.S. Gear unit at a junkyard (didn't get up there in time; otherwise, I'd have double-overdrive now :thumbsup: )...

What's wrong with the rear sliding window? If it's a factory slider, I might be interested...the one on my truck is a cheap aftermarket one that doesn't fit properly and looks bad (my uncle put it on after taking a camper off). Shipping may be prohibitive, though...

And I can completely understand on having a strong attachment to a truck...I actually dislike extended-cab trucks (I'd rather either have a more maneuverable regular cab or go for the gold and get a crewcab dualie), but there is no way in Hades I'm getting rid of my truck...I've already talked about why :( (I'd still rather have my uncle back)...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you guys, EZ will see if he can afford it. May be buying a house some time soon if God allows :hail . This is one of the things I have to plan how I will present it to Viviana, is getting harder and Harder to convince her of all this "necessary" expenses. :angel:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, tell her it's a long-term investment...eventually, the GV unit will pay for itself in reduced fuel expenses ;Sweet

At least, that's how I'm justifying it...when I find one...

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want that Gear Vendor overdrive. You might have to start a bidding war to auction it off. PS, I want the drive line also.

akoldnav