is an extended cab swap practical?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That looks just Beagle Pup in all it's glory!
That's what I thought when I saw it a few days ago. Since I only had my flip phone with me and it's about 400-500 yards off the highway, I didn't even try to take a picture then. I purposely drove by it this morning to take a picture with my camera. This was only the second brown and white International that I can remember seeing so it stuck out to me.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Cab style came out in 79 till some time in the 90`s.
Worked for the State of Kommiefornia, and we got two new Dump trucks in end of 81, 466 Diesel and auto trans. hate those dang auto`s. Drove them for around 15 years.
Got a new 95 with 466, 5pd air shift diff. drove it for 10 years till I retired. Good trucks. Drove a lot of old
Cornbinder`s while I worked there.
That 95 was the last year of mechanical injection. 96 they put a big computer thing on the side of the engine.
Go fast peddle was a switch and wires going to the comp. Definately drove different.

Goat

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
That's what I thought when I saw it a few days ago. Since I only had my flip phone with me and it's about 400-500 yards off the highway, I didn't even try to take a picture then. I purposely drove by it this morning to take a picture with my camera. This was only the second brown and white International that I can remember seeing so it stuck out to me.
Yeah, you don't see too many of the IHs painted brown and white like that. I never really liked brown, but I thought it looked good on those trucks.
Also, I had my flip phone until just recently, and I know what you mean about trying to take pictures. That's the only reason I like the stupid smart phones, otherwise I think they are junk with a bunch of stuff to go wrong, like all these cracks on the screen I'm looking through as i type!

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
So, I have been tossing around some crazy ideas in case no one has noticed. And I come to think about the old sleeper caps that used to be on a lot of 1 ton dually's. I know it's completely different than an extended cab, but I would just like a little extra cab space, and I am not to crazy about the whole swapping cabs and messing with titles and vin plates. What I was thinking (bare with me here), is grafting on two pickup beds to come up with a 10ft bed, and mount a sleeper cap. I know it sound kind of ridiculous having a 10ft bed, but I want this truck to stand out and with the sleeper cap it should look pretty much like an extended cab dually I think, but maybe a little cooler. I am trying to find a balance between the bigger cab I want, and the bigger truck I have.
I am not sure of anything right now, and i may even end up keeping the dump bed, or selling it and getting a crew cab like i was originally.
I apologize for being so all over the place, but I am plainly trying to figure out if I need cab space or load capacity more, and not to mention this truck costs almost the same to put on the road as the Beagle Pup , so I also feel kind of stupid like I am right back where I started in a way. I just really like this truck, so I am not sure. Boy this sounds familiar doesn't it? Lol
Once again, I would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks

Rock

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using an extended cab as a work truck gets old. All your tools in the back without even suicide doors is a pain. I see a huge difference since I've found a crew cab

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Using an extended cab as a work truck gets old. All your tools in the back without even suicide doors is a pain. I see a huge difference since I've found a crew cab
I am kind of thinking maybe selling this truck and moving on to a crew cab 1 ton or just swapping out the dump bed for a nice flatbed. I will hopefully be getting it running today, and then I guess I will have to weigh it out. Thanks

Rock

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my trucks is a 92 F450 [7.3 ZF5] cab chassis. About 6 years ago, I mounted a dually 8 ft bed on it. That required that I make a set of bed mount brackets and weld them to the outside of the frame. Like your truck, mine has 11 ft from the back of the single cab to end of frame, so to center the rear fenders over the dual wheels and "make it look right" there is a 30 inch space between the cab and the bed. For now, that space is filled with a tool box that I modified to fit the space [I do sheet metal stuff].
My plan has always been to replace the cab with an extended cab, for the same reasons you want one.. more space to haul more stuff, locked up.
Haven't "gotten to that yet"... but, by making the bed brackets.. bed fits fine, fender openings look "normal".

Go for it !

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
One of my trucks is a 92 F450 [7.3 ZF5] cab chassis. About 6 years ago, I mounted a dually 8 ft bed on it. That required that I make a set of bed mount brackets and weld them to the outside of the frame. Like your truck, mine has 11 ft from the back of the single cab to end of frame, so to center the rear fenders over the dual wheels and "make it look right" there is a 30 inch space between the cab and the bed. For now, that space is filled with a tool box that I modified to fit the space [I do sheet metal stuff].
My plan has always been to replace the cab with an extended cab, for the same reasons you want one.. more space to haul more stuff, locked up.
Haven't "gotten to that yet"... but, by making the bed brackets.. bed fits fine, fender openings look "normal".

Go for it !
it's good to hear of someone who is in the same boat . Would you happen to have any pictures of the truck now? thanks

Rock

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and not to mention this truck costs almost the same to put on the road as the Beagle Pup , so I also feel kind of stupid like I am right back where I started in a way. I just really like this truck, so I am not sure. Boy this sounds familiar doesn't it? Lol
Once again, I would appreciate some feedback on this.

If the cost to put it on the road is an issue (I'm assuming it's tied to GVW), maybe a cab swap would help. A cab from a F250 or F350 would allow you to reasonably title that truck as exactly that as long as you don't ever tip the scales above the GVW associated with the new cab. The VIN plate on the dash and sticker in the door frame are the main identifiers for a truck of these years so if you got a f250 or 350 with a title for the cab, then you could "swap the running gear from the superduty under the extended cab." Then you'd be driving the F250/350 with extra heavy duty running gear. I don't know how picky an annual inspection is up in PA but down here if they can't plug a computer into it they do a safety check and test drive and kick you out the door as fast as they can.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Depending on your local laws and insurance, there are usually pro's and con's for either gvwr.

Choose wisely. I would not be opposed to cab grafting to get what I wanted.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
If the cost to put it on the road is an issue (I'm assuming it's tied to GVW), maybe a cab swap would help. A cab from a F250 or F350 would allow you to reasonably title that truck as exactly that as long as you don't ever tip the scales above the GVW associated with the new cab. The VIN plate on the dash and sticker in the door frame are the main identifiers for a truck of these years so if you got a f250 or 350 with a title for the cab, then you could "swap the running gear from the superduty under the extended cab." Then you'd be driving the F250/350 with extra heavy duty running gear. I don't know how picky an annual inspection is up in PA but down here if they can't plug a computer into it they do a safety check and test drive and kick you out the door as fast as they can.
I actually hadn't thought of it that way. That sheds a whole new light on the subject. That will work perfectly if I can run it as an f350 or f250 legally, but have the extra capacity when needed.I think I am going to go through with it then and swap a cab and bed.
I just got the oil cooler back in the truck today (what a pain!)and got it running, so after I flush the fluids a few times, I will start planning this all out. It would be really nice to have an f450 pickup.
Thank you, I really appreciate this information, and it helps a ton.

Rock