is an extended cab swap practical?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
My 1988 F superduty has a 10ft frame behind the cab, so I got to wondering about swapping on an extended cab and having enough room left for an 8ft bed. The dump bed is 8ft long, and there is over 30 inches in between cab and bed (dump bed hangs over the back 6 inches). I am just wondering if this is practical or not? I would like to eventually use this truck as my tow rig, and I may modify the dump bed or go with a flatbed, so the bed doesn't worry me so much. I would appreciate it if anybody could shed some light on this, and maybe post a picture of how an extended cab mounts to the frame. Thanks

Rock

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose your truck is a cab and chassis truck? I don't know if they have the kick-up in the frame behind the cab, but a regular pickup does. They moved the kick-up rearward on a extended cab frame. So if you want to put a extended cab on a regular frame, you have to use a body lift to raise the cab above the kick-up.

See if your frame has a kick-up that will be in the way if the extended cab comes straight back.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I suppose your truck is a cab and chassis truck? I don't know if they have the kick-up in the frame behind the cab, but a regular pickup does. They moved the kick-up rearward on a extended cab frame. So if you want to put a extended cab on a regular frame, you have to use a body lift to raise the cab above the kick-up.

See if your frame has a kick-up that will be in the way if the extended cab comes straight back.
Yes, it is a cab and chassis. It does have the kick up behind the cab, so how much of a lift would be in order? thanks

Rock

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cab and chassis frame is narrower than pick up frame. I’m sure you could put a bed on it but it’s more than just bolt on.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the frame behind the cab so we can see. Perhaps you could modify the back of the extended cab to fit, like a partial chanelling of the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Cab and chassis frame is narrower than pick up frame. I’m sure you could put a bed on it but it’s more than just bolt on.
I don't mind a little fab work. How much would the fenders stick out past the wheels? I don't want it to look stupid, but a little over hang is fine.

Rock

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never done it before, but remember reading about the cab swap. I want to say a 3 inch body lift, but you need to measure to make sure. Just pretend your cab is moving rearward and measure how much it needs to go up.

I saw a thread where a guy did cut his floor out so the frame stuck through. Looks like a lot of measuring and fab work to the floor though. And putting a dually bed on a cab and chassis is more fab work.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the rear end width on dual cab and chassis and dual pick up is 1 inch different. Pick up is wider.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have to watch how close the wheels are to the inside of fenders. Not sure but think there is more then an 1" , that would only be 1/2" per side.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey Farmer Rock, it's a different subject, but I found this and thought of you so I had to take a picture. It's 12 miles north and about 1/2 mile west of where I live.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Farmer Rock, it's a different subject, but I found this and thought of you so I had to take a picture. It's 12 miles north and about 1/2 mile west of where I live.

I sent him one from down the street. He's gonna have sellers remorse here shortly!

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
That looks just Beagle Pup in all it's glory! I really do miss that truck and sometimes hope I made the right decision. In a way, that is why I am going a little crazy on the f superduty, because I feel like I have to make up for the loss if that makes sensecookoo, and it would be cool to have an f super duty setup with an extended cab and dually bed:bail.
Anyhow, I appreciate you sharing the picture, it brings back precious memories!:cry:
[/QUOTE]
I sent him one from down the street. He's gonna have sellers remorse here shortly!
Shortly? As soon as the buyer drove it away, I started mumbling to myself, and now it just gets worse!lol

Rock

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online