Is an anti sway system worth it

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at many wieght distributing hitches and most people swear by the anti sway systems that you can buy with them.... anyone out there using them.... Dual cam? Friction? Equalizer?

Crashdummy

Reaction score
Pulling a 5th wheel now so don't need one. I would not tie to a travel trailer (tounge pull) over 24 feet without one. the simple friction anti sway bars work well if set up correctly.

FaC

Reaction score
As stated above, big bumper pulls could really use them. I use the dual cam and am pretty happy with it although I had to work with it a while when I got the Cougar (17.5K loaded up and ready to go). I would have went with a 5er but I need the bed space for bikes, toys, etc....

FWIW - FaC

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Personally. I like the handling of a gooseneck, myself.

When the crew went to 'Degga last year, the boss hooked onto Kendall's 16' enclosed trailer, with his almost new GMC K1500 . He made it all the way to Salina(103mi), before he stopped and bought a Valley W/D w/ friction sway. Drove all the way to Alabama, and back, without another problem 70-80mph all the way.(little over 2500 miles, including goofin' off)

I've pulled a 16' car trailer, with a 1 1/2 ton truck on it, without w/d, or sway issues. A lot of handling issues can be controlled with proper loading. A few weeeks ago, I made b2b runs to Salina and back, picking up a Burb, the 1st run, and a 3/4t Chevy w/ topper the 2nd. Had no trouble at all, still no w/d or sway issues.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I run a friction one and they work. I disconnected mine once to see it's effects and yes I could tell it was not installed.

Now the Hensley ones, everyone that I have talked to swear by them in the campgrounds but you don't find that many folks (or atleast I haven't ) that actually have them because of the cost. But the ones that I have talked with say it's better than the friction set ups by far. I would like to have one but I'm a poor boy so - oh well...

The folks I have talked with said it does take some getting used to in order to hitch up but they said it's worth the extra effort of getting everything lined up, they actually said that the longer they owned it the easier it got - experience increases naturally.

What size trailer ya looking at haul'n?

spindrift

Reaction score
Our Cougar is 34' long. Would love to have an extended cab Suburban even with my dual cam set-up. :cool

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
I would agree with argve, I have a Hensley and wouldn't tow without it. Yes they are pricey, but I like the safety aspect of it and they do work as advertised. I also hear the tales of them being hard to hook up but I've never had any of the problems discussed.....

kenkillsr

Ken Kill Sr.
Reaction score
Sway Control.

We started out with a 16' trailer and used a Easy Lift WD hitch solo.
When we moved up to a 24'er we used a Reese WD with add-on friction sway control.
In 2002 we moved up to a 28'er with slide and used a Reese Dual Cam AND two friction sway controls.
I can't say we were completely satisfied with the performance of any of these hitch set-ups.:dunno
Always had tail wagging the dog syndrome and rear overtaking truck traffic always created white knuckle terror.:eek:
In 2005 we moved up to our current 30' Wilderness and Equalizer.
This has been the best hitch set-up we've had.
When we move up to a new larger trailer we'll probably be trying the Pullrite or Hensley.
Choice will be economic as performance is rated same for both.

Last edited:

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Reese W/D Hitch with the Dual Cam Sway control works very well. Easy to hook up. If is is installed per instructions and the trailer is loaded correctly with the proper tounge weight you should be comfortable towing.

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
kenkillsr,

Both Pullright and Hensley are close to same in price however the Pullright hitch is vehicle specific. Hensley is not, you can move it from trailer to trailer and vehicle to vehicle so keep that in mind if you ever decide to change:D

Last edited:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much a rear sway-bar on the vehicle helps with this. I know it sure helped my camper truck a LOT. Best $160 I ever spent. I'm thinking that truck sway makes for more trailer sway, not that some trailers need much help to make you feel like you have a pit bull latched onto your pants.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online