Is a hand clutch possible

pcpotter

Reaction score
:dunno Here's the deal guys, my wife would like to be able to drive my truck but there is a problem it is a 5 Sp and she can not push the clutch because of her knees she has had surgery 4 times on her knees 3 on the clutch knee, my question is this is there such a thing as a hand clutch that I can mount on the gear shift that let you release the clutch and shift. I have the option to go to 4 door with a auto with OD but I really like the standard tranny and I know the 5 Sp will be a lot better for pulling which is something I need because I pill a 30' 5TH wheel with this truck and when I get things done I will be pulling several different trailers with this truck.
Thanks, Patrick

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does she wanna drive your truck? If she wants a to drive something like what you have it would probably be cheaper just to get her one with an automatic.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anything is possible. it boils down to how much money you have to spend.
problem is, any type of handicap conversion is big $$$$$ not because of the controls but the liability insurance the builder has to carry.
There is a place local to my who does that kind of work. I can put you in touch with him if you like. just for reference, I just got a auto truck set up for a double amputee and the controls cost $2500. he also was required to go to a "class" to "learn" how to use the controls and that was $5000. Total complete BS imho, but for him he didn't care, he got his mobility back.

pcpotter

Reaction score
It's a just incase deal

Why does she wanna drive your truck? If she wants a to drive something like what you have it would probably be cheaper just to get her one with an automatic.

I have a kidney disease I was born and could be a very small chance we could get out somewhere and something could happen where I wouldn't be able to drive back home and that is basically the only reason for this.

pcpotter

Reaction score
anything is possible. it boils down to how much money you have to spend.
problem is, any type of handicap conversion is big $$$$$ not because of the controls but the liability insurance the builder has to carry.
There is a place local to my who does that kind of work. I can put you in touch with him if you like. just for reference, I just got a auto truck set up for a double amputee and the controls cost $2500. he also was required to go to a "class" to "learn" how to use the controls and that was $5000. Total complete BS imho, but for him he didn't care, he got his mobility back.

If you don't mind I would like to get in contact with him thanks.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
she can't push a clutch at all or just can't push the clutch in your truck cause its to stiff? Cause depending on what it is I know when I changed out my DMFW for the LUK SMFW the pedal was much easier to push and you didn't have to get it all the way to the floor anymore. Just a thought depending on your wifes ability.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she can't push a clutch at all or just can't push the clutch in your truck cause its to stiff? Cause depending on what it is I know when I changed out my DMFW for the LUK SMFW the pedal was much easier to push and you didn't have to get it all the way to the floor anymore. Just a thought depending on your wifes ability.

You beat me to it. I did a powerstroke SMF conversion (valair), and it was not only a stronger, smoother clutch, but was easier to use. I've heard that somewhat smaller, but still able bodied women sometimes have difficulty with the stiff clutch pedal of the OEM ZF 5 speed. Holding it depressed at stoplights can be tiring from what I've heard.

I know the replacement I used was nice and soft and got easier to press at the floor so it was very easy to hold the clutch in for longer periods. If possible, you can find some one near you that has an IDI ready converted so she can see how it works for her and if its worth considering that instead of a hand clutch.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
just an idea but i have seen vacume boosters used on hydrolic clutch setups on toyotas 4x4s

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have a kidney disease I was born and could be a very small chance we could get out somewhere and something could happen where I wouldn't be able to drive back home and that is basically the only reason for this.

There's an extra insurance that you can get through the Good Sam club that I carry for similar reasons, that if you take ill on the road and can't complete the trip home, it will pay to have your vehicle driven back and those with you , along with you transported home. When I'm pulling the 5er traveling with children that brings a lot pf peace of mind.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this through a while ago and decided that a good way to go would be to connect the master cylinder push rod to a stepper motor with a lead screw, and run the motor with a servo controller controlled with some kind of pententiometer on the gear shift. Perhaps something like a model race car set controller. You might even be able to use a RC car or airplane controller servo if you could find one strong enough.

sootman73

Reaction score
i have no idea if you can but would an insurance company pick up part of the cost of a conversion due to medical incapability? i know they pay for those little carts...

just a thought...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I have a kidney disease I was born and could be a very small chance we could get out somewhere and something could happen where I wouldn't be able to drive back home and that is basically the only reason for this."

Thats a good reasons, being stuck in the middle of know where with no one else to drive could be a bit of a problem. - I wasnt trying to be a butt if it came out that way -

If it really is going to cost a couple thousand dollars to make the kind of setup you are wanting, as much as I dislike automatics for long huals, you could build one mean tranny that could haul what you need and be drivable by your wife.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The BTS E4OD trans has 4 forward gears. Some calle it an overdrive trans. Brian builds one tuff E4OD auto trans. The warranty is any hp... Any torque... No questions asked. Figure around $4500.00. You wont be breaking that trans like the stock upgraded types out on the market. I've had them. My Jaspers E4OD lasted almost 200,000 miles of tuff towing so I have been there. I installed a Mag Hytec aluminum pan on it. That gives me an extra 2 gallons of trans fluid. Yes... Thats 2 gallons.. Not 2 quarts. I still run hard and tow fast and heavy. Sun Coast is another very good E4OD trans. Just about the same cost and warranty as BTS. You will find BTS in Arkansas and Sun Coast in Florida.