IP timing advance problem

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok so after I backed into Darrins dumpster, Goldie decided to give me a payback for the big dent.:mad:

The cold timing advance decided to turn itself on whilst toolin down the highway.

I had to run it about 20 miles before I got to a safe place to get out and check things over.

As soon as I dumped the clutch it died. Started right back up fine but unplugging the power source to the advance made no difference.

I didn't have a single tool in the truck but the cellphone.

I dimed up Mel and he suggested to check the fuel return lines. Well 5 miles further down the road and a rattling she was it, the engine hesitated a few times and it straightened itself back out.

Well lost my only troubleshooting idea.:confused:

I did fuel up today before the run up to Darrins and the thought of cruddy fuel or possible gelling did also cross my mind but it really wasn't that cold out and the place i get fuel from has pretty new tanks and decent fuel.

Anybody else ever had a similar experience?

suv7734

Reaction score
How old is your fuel filter?
Sounds like it was similar to when you run the tank too low before switching to the other one.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing, weird, I can add 12oz of power service and it clears right up until the next time I refuel????

Please figure it out for me too, driving me nutzzzzzzzz.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, another possiblilty that comes to mind is that a spec of dirt could have jamed the advance piston. At this point, with the symptom solved, about all you can do is dose it up with your flavor of fuel treatment, and change your filter. Time to order a Moose Pump? LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron, another possiblilty that comes to mind is that a spec of dirt could have jamed the advance piston. At this point, with the symptom solved, about all you can do is dose it up with your flavor of fuel treatment, and change your filter. Time to order a Moose Pump? LOL

Thought of that too since I've been having issues with the transfer switch and the amount of alternative fuels that I've run.

Though I just remembered that it did the same exact thing for about 30 seconds as we were headed out to the rally in Lisbon.

Might be an issue that may just warrant a Moose pump.:angel:
Got her dosed up last night with a healthy shot of Power service.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought of that too since I've been having issues with the transfer switch and the amount of alternative fuels that I've run.
those are beginning symptoms of a failing FSV.
Keep an eye on the return lines for seepage. If the return side backs up, the pressure will affect the IP and will also cause the o-rings to start leaking.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
sounds to me like it easily could be the filter.
Only way we kept one of ours running one time was to keep popping the clutch until we could pull over, then all we could do was up the idle speed to keep it sucking. There were no parts stores for almost 100 miles.