IP solenoid wiring question

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are all three IP solenoids activated once the key is in the ON position? Does each solenoid stay on at all times? I know that the FSS does but the cold advance and the low idle solenoid are left. I'd imagine that power would always go to the low idle solenoid but I don't know what the cold advance ]does. I think that power always goes to the fast idle solenoid as well. Both kick on when the RPMs are low enough, I'm figuring here.

On the 7.3 gp schematic it mentions an engine temp switch. Is this located near the IP? Anyone know what this thing looks like?

aaklingler

Reaction score
The fss is powered with the key, for fast idle and cold timing when the key is turned on a temp sensor is sent power, if the temp is below 114* then the fast idle and timing advance selinoids are energized, it then turns off once above 114*. If your talking about a temp sensor that the gp's use then that is the zig zag thing on the controller. Are you having problems that you would like to tell us about?

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSS is powered all the time, High idle and advance solenoids are switched through a temp switch. No such thing as a "low idle" solenoid, low idle is set with a screw just like a carburator. There's no RPM control like on fuel injected cars. Remember, IDI's have no engine computer.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
The temp switch is a 2 wire located on the passenger front top of the engine near where the intake and head meet.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out how to wire the fast idle and the cold advance solenoid. I'm trying to simplify the wiring harness since I'm using a push button and not the controller, rewiring accordingly. I know the controller has a temp gauge tied to it and by what I just heard there is a gauge or two at the front of the engine, that connects to the engine near the pulleys. I think the FSS is the connection closest to the front, the fast idle is on a bracket, so I guess that leaves the cold advanced being behind the FSS. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which wire connects to what...
I think there is a temp gauge on the back of the engine near the gp controller. I'm just going to leave that one be for the time being.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, I'm down to two wires now. The coolant temp sending unit has two wires. One is red with black stripe and the is red with white stripe. One goes to the gauge and the other goes to the light. I would guess that the one that goes to the gauge is the one that needs to go the fast idle and cold advance solenoid and the other one goes to the dash but I'm not sure. any thoughts?

aaklingler

Reaction score
jrisingmoon said:
okay, I'm down to two wires now. The coolant temp sending unit has two wires. One is red with black stripe and the is red with white stripe. One goes to the gauge and the other goes to the light. I would guess that the one that goes to the gauge is the one that needs to go the fast idle and cold advance solenoid and the other one goes to the dash but I'm not sure. any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean by the guage and light. The one wire should come from the ignition and you should be able to track the other one to the fast idle and timing advance. PM argve i think he has a nice little pic for you, you need to add a diode. The temp sender has nothing to do with the gp's.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I can e-mail you a diagram for my '89. The colors don't match the colors you say you have but it should be hooked up the same way.

Oh and the sensor for the gauge is a different unit but I can't find info on it's location.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
krawlr said:
I can e-mail you a diagram for my '89. The colors don't match the colors you say you have but it should be hooked up the same way.

Oh and the sensor for the gauge is a different unit but I can't find info on it's location.

Overtemp light is big sender on driver side head near front down low. Gauge is smaller sender above water pump between IP and driver side head. I believe the temp "switch" being refered to is the one behind the GP controller, center, block mounted?

Tom

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to get power to the temp wires? If so, does it matter which? I'm just going to talk this out and see where it goes:

I would assume that one of the two wires is connected to a power-with-key-ON wire and that 12v enters one (for example, the red/black stripe) wire runs through the temp sensor goes to the other wire (red/white stripe) and is connected to the IP. The temp wire is then grounded somewhere on the block. When the temp drops below, what is it? 114*, then power goes through the temp gauge to the cold advance and fast idle solenoid, turning them on. The FSS is grounded on the block somewhere, too.

Seems to make sense...

where does the diode fit into this?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Your getting your sensors/switches mixed up.

The temp. switch with 2 wires takes power from the ign switch and sends it to the advance and fast idle solenoids. They are grounded by the housing.

The temp. sensor with one wire is for the gauge or idiot light. Looks like on my 7.3 it's on the front of the drivers side head.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you're saying that what I was talking about in my last post was the switch not the sensor, right? the switch is at the front of the engine and the sensor is at the rear of the engine, correct?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Both are at the front of the engine. Passenger side is the switch(in the head) and drivers side is the sensor(in the block).

Remember I'm using a 7.3 for an example. I can't be 100% sure but knowing Ford it's probably in the same place on the 6.9.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I found them. The switch for my van is behind the alternator and there are two connectors. The wire color is yellow but is probably different for yours. The sensor appears to be in the block, near the timing gear cover and the top middle pulley. It's red with a stripe of some kind, black, white, something. There is another wire that goes to the Driver's side head and it's red also. Not sure what that does, connects to the ignition switch?

aaklingler

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure you found the right one, it should right behind the water neck and you should be able to track the one wire to the fast idle. The diode is to keep the current from flowing backward when you put a switch in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online