IP Removal/Installation Wrench

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
How are you guys removing the 9/16" nuts holding the ip to the IP gear housing?

I ground down an old boxend wrench I had in my tool box.

Anyone using the special wrench "injection pump mount wrench T86T-9000-B" referenced in the manuals?

I tried to find one but haven't yet. I'm leary of the strength of my homemade wrench.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Don,
That is what Scott did and also what Eric and I did last week. Craftsman has a curved 9/16" wrench that is nice but will still need to be thinner.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used three different brands of end wrenches when I did my pump, between them I got the job done.
A week after that I found a nice set of 60* and 90* (I think) offset open end wrenches on the Snap-On truck so I bought a 9/16 and 5/8. They worked great on the last truck I did.

sassyrel

Reaction score
snap-on makes a wrench just for removing the pumps--ask about it--

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Sears has the one you want but it is $17......and you have to grind it thinner and grind a little off the outside edge.It is the only one on the pegboard like it.Kinda stick out like a sore thumb.The entire thing is Curved with a 9/16th and 5/8th ends I think.Best of all if you screw up and mess up the wrench you can put it in a vice and break off the 9/16th inch box end and take it back.......B-)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i have about a dozen 9/16ths wrenches.

the shortest one I have got the passenger side bolt, any of them could have done the top bolt, and the driverside bolt you needed to take the 9/16th bolt out that is facing up at you. after that I snaked my arm under the a/c compressor and i popped it out.
just swapped out injectors/return lines and IP in about 4hours tops.... no special tools really.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used my wrench today to back off the timing on my 6.9L. No more death rattle! I had it up to 70 mph without realizing it because the motor was so much quieter.

I was kind of nervous about the wrench breaking too. I've used it on 3 trucks (over 1.5 years) so far with no issues. I guess the nuts just aren't that tight..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have one I bought off the snap on truck, it was made by OTC. works great. Takes the fuss out of getting those nuts loose.

---------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
I just used my wrench today to back off the timing on my 6.9L. No more death rattle! I had it up to 70 mph without realizing it because the motor was so much quieter.

I was kind of nervous about the wrench breaking too. I've used it on 3 trucks (over 1.5 years) so far with no issues. I guess the nuts just aren't that tight..

To back off the timing to what? How many degrees?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just before I retired 3 weeks ago I made that special wrench from a standard 9/16 combo wrench made by snapon. It was heated and bent so I could reach the passenger side nut. Then I ground it to fit. Works for me too... ;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
To back off the timing to what? How many degrees?

LOL, to where the damn thing didn't rattle like it was coming apart. I seriously was wondering if the bearings were bad, and I didn't take it over 55 - 60 mph.

I'm betting the IP was installed 1 tooth off, the marks were already showing retarded, I probably moved it 1.5 to 2 dime widths retarded and things are better. I will probably move it back slightly advanced when I have time as I think I went a little too far but if I had to choose between the two I'd keep it where it is now.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ground a combo box end wrench and it works OK on the drivers side bolt . I need to some help for the passenger side bolt . Any photos of modified or / store bought wrenchs ( part #s ) are appreciated. - Thanks

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much good a photo will do.

Take the box end of a regular 9/16 wrench, grind the OD of the box end down, and grind both sides of the box end down until it fits. Sears has cheap wrenches (not Craftsman) they sell for a few bucks apiece. I've put quite a bit of torque on mine and it has not broken yet.

I've both done trucks and vans and have not needed anything but a standard (modified) wrench. No special bends etc were needed.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a link to those high priced Ford designed OTC-7542 tools for this job - http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2053 - .
It looks like getting an s-boxed end wrench or u-shaped obstruction wrench set (cheapie set from HF or JC whitney - http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/tf-Browse/s-10101/N-111+10201+600002281/c-10101 - ) or half-moon wrench ( maybe it's that Craftsman wrench referred to in a previous reply -http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00904376000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes - ) and grinding it would be the thing to use for that passenger side bolt .

Thanks

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to use those. Notice that there are two. The text is wrong. What it really says is "you pretty much need both of these shapes to do the job". LOL I have my own homemade jobbys, and I have one wrench to do the passenger side bolt, and another one to do the other two.