IP install.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new IP I'm gonna install this weekend (the only thing I haven't changed on this truck), is there such a thing as getting it 180 degrees out of time?

I have read all of Mel's stuff but, I was just wondering, line it up and stick it in?

The reason I'm changing it is after about 45 minutes of pulling my fiver my power lowers, EGT's not as high and boost goes down to 6 PSI, I figure a lack of fuel, from a cold start she runs great and pulls strong, most times I have to run 3/4 pedle to keep EGT's under 1,100.

PS I was glad to meet everyone at the IDI Rally, wish I could have stayed longer.

Tim

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Hello Tim. Good to see you at OB! Also nice to meet you in Choo Choo Town. I was in the white F350 by you at the show and shine.

If you do not remove the housing that the IP bolts to I do not believe you can install the IP 180 out. I just did mine and it was pretty straight forward. Unbolt IP from gear. Unbolt from housing. To install, align dowel on IP with hole in gear. bolt to housing. Bolt to gear and torque to 25 ft-lbs.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks man, I used to send all the time on TDS figured I need to do both sites after meeting you guys.

After a pull I made this weekend I said what the heck may as well go ahead and change the IP, stupid me did'nt change it when I did the injectors this spring.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my new IP on the truck last night, runs pretty good not great.

When I lined up the timing marks and got her running the white somke killed gnats for two miles, I advanced the timing about 1/8 then she got better but still had a little white smoke, so I turned it about 3/16 and got all the smoke gone and running good, ( again not great).

Anyone know of someone in Chattanooga that can set timing?

Once I get the timing set I may have to knock off the the yellow marker paint and turn up the pump some more, I just don't beleive the rebuilder has it turned up enought.

My old pump had about an 1/8 inch end play on the gear shaft, not much on the up and down but a lot of in and out play, I'm gonna say it was wore out anyway.

By turning my IP just enought to stop the white smoke how much farther do ya'll think it has to go before it is timed right, engine does not have a real loud rattle yet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the marks as far as 1/4" apart if that gives you any idea. Looks like your "timing" on changing pumps was off by about 3 weeks. There was someone in Chattanooga who does pump timing.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, this stupid thing called WORK kepps me from being at things, anyway, it let me buy a new pump.

Once I advanced the timing some I could get a small puff of black at idle when I did a rap of the pedle, but I can tell from the sound it needs more.

I'll find someone with a timing light, she how she smokes and gives me EGT's and I may then turn the pump up more.

Is the external screw the large allen in the center rear of the pump? I could just trun it out and see what she does (after timing).

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
need more than the timing light unfortunatly...... you need the piezo electric gizmo that hooks between IP line and timing light. if your playing with the pump alot, suggest you get a pyrometer stat.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find anyone in my area that has a plus adaptor and even knows the proper way to set the timing, still looking.

EGT, got two pyro's one on each side of the engine, I used a dual gauge we use on our ultralight airplanes Rotex engines.

I timed it by ear last night, just to the point of no white smoke and a nice light raddle, but I can tell already the factory setting is not enought fuel for me, I'll get it running right and then turn it up more., first I want the timing set at 8.5 on the balls, then give it the old can I see smoke test and EGT max to make sure I need more fuel or not.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I buttoned everything up, advanced the timing just a bit and took her for a test drive, what a lame duck, 5 pounds of boost and 600 max EGT, sick.

I called the 1-800 number on the NAPA IP box, they said all thier pumps are set on the lowest fuel setting and that everyone should set according to their HP rating.

So I cranked her up a flat and a half, HOLY CRAP talking about waking the dead, you were right Mel when you told me at the rally someting is wrong with my truck. Even at 2,000 RPM's if I throttle full I hit 7.5 puonds of boost, EGT's seem managable and talk about power, wow. Now I just need my timing dialed in and I will be set to go.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that's why most folks don't get their pumps from NAPA, but at least they let you open it up to adjust it. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online