IP advice from those who know...

01txdmax

Reaction score
All,

I'm looking to replace the IP on my truck because the advance solenoid(is this the right name, it's aft on top) is shorted, it hazes pretty badly at 65 aaand I have no idea how many miles are on it.

So heres the dilemma: to Moose Jr or replace with a stock rebuild turned up a couple of flats.

I don't pull heavy anymore so the truck is more of a daily driver/trip to the hardware store go getter. I know I'd like the power but don't want a smokey truck.

I have heard that Mel's reputation is second to none and his products speak for themselves.

The question is if the Jr will give me the little extra power with out a ton of smoke? I get the off idle stuff, that is what it is. It's the highway speed haze I would like to do without.

Thoughts or opinions?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call and ask Conestoga exactly this question. But for me, there is no doubt where I am going for my next pump. I'd bet they would set you up

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a moose junior. I can make it smoke if I floor it, but if I am easy on it I can keep the haze under control.

Towing is really nice with it too. I had just a little haze under full throttle towing about 8000 behind it, but now I have intercooler it and expect the haze to be gone.

If you are happy with the power, just get a baby moose, it's a little less fuel than a junior.

Seriously, you can't go wrong, there is a Moose for every idi owner.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Contacting Mel at Conestoga is the best bet. Just know he is not in the business to cause you to buy what he has on the shelf when you call like say he had a few that were not selling and wanted to pass them off. Mel works with the client helping them figure out what works. Its just too bad all businesses were not like Mel.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll echo what everyone has said, and tell you to call and talk to Mel. I'd also consider a nice new set of injectors and return lines to go with the new pump, so you know your fuel system is in great shape.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. Just an FYI, I have been sick since Sunday with a fever and sore throat. Didn't go to the doc until Wednesday, and found out I had Strep throat. So now I'm on Penicillin, but I haven't been to work all week, and today was the first time I've felt like doing anything work related. The rest of the crew is working, and business is being conducted as usual, but I'm not taking any calls directly. I'm hoping this will all be gone by Monday. Geezzz... I haven't been sick in years, and this has really been kicking my butt. Joel is perfectly capable of fielding any IDI questions, so don't hesitate to call if you need anything.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Best wishes for a speedy recovery mel. This is my first year with kids in public school so I feel your pain

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally spoken with Joel and Suzi. Mel has the best people working for him too. They can absolutely handle your questions about their products for sure. So, call them and let us know what you decide!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to learn you have strep throat. I'm sure you feel like you may have died several times already. I watched my wife come home from school where she worked with the same thing several times. To put it bluntly.. IT HURTS.. I'm just so very happy she never came home with scabies or lice. She had to do lice checks if a child was scratching their heads. Talk about wanting to vomit.... Gees.
But as Mel asked. Talking with Joel is about as good as it gets. Mel purchased Conestoga from him so Joel knows. Now mix in Suzi and you have a trifecta that no other injection pump shop can match. Get well soon Mel and watch out for people close to you also contracting this vial illness. Personally I have never had strep throat even after kissing the wifey when she had it. I'm really not that brave. So far I'm just bullet proof I guess.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just gotta kiss the right spots Gary. LOL.

On a side note, Joel and I spoke about my dually problem, we suspected the same issue, He was spot on , advance was toast. I installed my spare pump and it runs great,, should have put it on at Calvins, likely would have cut my fuel bill in half.

Its nice to have folks who know these pumps. Ive never been into one, I leave that to the pros.

01txdmax

Reaction score
Wow, thanks all. School, work and life have been running me ragged so I apologize for the untimely reply.

Mel, I'll likely be calling yall next week sometime for what I can only imagine will be my first Moose product. I think the Jr will fill the bill but I...yea, I'm still trying to decide if I'm indecisive.

Good luck for a speedy recovery, I hate being sick.

Now back to programming this PLC.....this ladder logic aint gonna write itself...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I'm back to work today toughing it out. Hopefully by Monday I'll be 100%. Hope everybody has a good weekend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to learn you are back in it Mel. I'm sure you were missed but things will return to normal soon. Sounds like you have a new customer waiting to buy a Moose Pump.:thumbsup: