Interesting Timing info

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the advanced timing have anything to do with the transfer fuel pressure acting on the servo piston in the automatic advance mechanism?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the advanced timing have anything to do with the transfer fuel pressure acting on the servo piston in the automatic advance mechanism?

i wouldn't doubt something like that is the reason for the surge in timing when switching from one fuel to the next.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the timing we have all mostly agreed upon is based on low sulfur fuel. I was wondering if adding sulfur would affect anything? I found sulfur substitute at work and have been adding it to my last few tankfuls. My truck seems quieter and runs alot better. The performance is more likely a result of work done recently though.

I'm no expert on fuel, but to my understanding it was the act of taking the sulfer out, and not the sulfer itself that caused our fuel to loose performance. I don't think putting sulfer in really does anything for it. I think to properly evaluate various timing settings for various fuels, we really need a dyno.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Since the timing we have all mostly agreed upon is based on low sulfur fuel. I was wondering if adding sulfur would affect anything? I found sulfur substitute at work and have been adding it to my last few tankfuls. My truck seems quieter and runs alot better. The performance is more likely a result of work done recently though.

Syco: DON'T BE PUTTING SULFUR in your fuel. Sulfur was always undesireable in fuel - it makes sulfuric acid in your engine.

But as Mel said, in taking out the sulfur, the refining process also takes out some of the good stuff.

Regards,

A37782X

Loose Cannon
Reaction score
In case you're referring to the timing "dip" (towards more retarded) i was blabbing about earlier, i think you nailed it. The "dip" is likely a result of the "light load advance" mechanism taking retarding action before the transfer pump has had a chance to increase pressure behind the servo and develop advance. The "light load advance" term is somewhat misleading. "Heavy load retard" would make more sense, because that's what the lever/plunger deal does, it retards the timing.

If you manually turn the lever pushing the plunger in, timing gets real retarded real quick at any rpm. At higher rpms it gets harder to push because it has to move in against the higher transfer pump/servo pressure.

Here's your IDI saying "Hi" through a lumy probe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtu0x2dQt0
Thats the actual fireball in the prechamber, you can see clearly through the probe like it had just a hole.

Last edited:

big rig

Reaction score
MILLAGE

Hello Agnem, I am a proud owner of my new( 92')ford f-350 crewcab. I just did the heads, new glow plugs, fuel and oil filters. However, I am experiencing a more than normal burn of fuel. I only been driving the truck for two weeks, and the first time I put 10 gallons of diesel and I only got 92 miles in total. Base on my calculations, I am getting about 10 miles to the gallon. My question to you is: maybe I need to put new injectors? The truck has 154,000 miles and I think, those are the original injectors. So, to increase my fuel millage somebody told me to replace them and put the fuel pump in timing.

Also, do you know if by replacing the stock air intake with an aftermarket one or making my own will also help? Any kind of input will be appreciate.
Thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Bigrig, I got your message and yes bad injectors will cause low economy.

As for the sulfur thing, the solvents that are used to remove the sulfur is what was raising hell with the pump seals and causing lubricity problems.

big rig

Reaction score
INJECTORS

Ok, so definetely I most change the injectors. Now, where do I send you the money so I can get the set of injectors. They told me you calibrated them and everything, so let me know so I can send you the money. If you want to call me, my cell number is: 786-286-8012 or if you want to give me your number I can call you.
Thanks

big rig

Reaction score
Another question, do you think I will be wise to see if the fuel pump in on time? Does an aftermarket RAM AIR filter will help to increase fuel economy combine with a bigger exhaust system and if it is worth it?
Do you know of any body or company that makes a turbo kit for this 7.3 engines?
Thanks