Interesting find when rebuilding a pump this week

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I was rebuilding a customer’s pump that was running fine but leaking, rebuilt it and got it on the stand but only made fuel on three cylinders at 150 rpms at 110* fuel temp, and only 5-7cc on those cylinders, minimum spec would be 14cc on that pump. Called that customer afterwards and asked how that pump was hot starting and he said it started and ran fine without issue, come to find out he just installed a powermaster starter and a set of North Star batteries. The pump had to get the head and rotor replaced to make fuel properly, but on any other engine with your typical replacement batteries and starter there would be no way this pump would have not have hot start issues, possibly wouldn’t have even started with the cold water trick. With the stout cranking system it must have been spinning it quick enough not to matter. Im not affiliated with powermaster or North Star but I do know they will be the batteries and starters I will be putting on my trucks now.

Edit.
New head and rotor made excellent fuel:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ImpactBatteries.com has Northstar batteries w/ "free" shipping.

I had never heard of them before.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting, goes to show how important cranking speed is!

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of these products before, I will be looking into them over the odyssey batteries I planned on going with...

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As opposing scenario support for this, a 94 idit I used to have had a bad problem starting cold with all if the usual suspects verified eleminated. Starter sounded like it was working fine. Replaced starter/batteries. Fired perfect every time no matter how cold. Starter did not sound weak at all .Batteries tested good, I couldn't believe it, but proof was in the pudding. So I guess it goes both ways with starting

wthompson01

W Thompson
Reaction score
I have bookmarked both! I will be calling on you Thewespaul to have my pump rebuilt and quite likely for injectors also. I'm finally getting closer to being able to work on my truck again.
And I have a complete new Banks turbo system that will go on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86