Intercooler

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I've tried searching, but then again I'm not the brightest guy. What years of PSD intercoolers are people running on their trucks? I have a banks sindwinder that I will be installing soon and would like to add an inter cooler at the same time. Thanks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've tried searching, but then again I'm not the brightest guy. What years of PSD intercoolers are people running on their trucks? I have a banks sindwinder that I will be installing soon and would like to add an inter cooler at the same time. Thanks.

They either have the hypermax or ATS intercooler kits, or they use intercoolers off of second gen 7.3 PSD's. Russ is the only one that I know of that is running a 6.0 PSD intercooler, but he said its to big, and he has cooling problems while towing.

cgraham

Reaction score
I have an intercooler off my Dodge that I thought about using, but it seems way too big to fit in my '87. I guess the A/C condenser would have to come out?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of those will work for us non-AC early year trucks. Need an IC that has inlet and outlet not facing rearward.

Radcam

Reaction score
None of those will work for us non-AC early year trucks. Need an IC that has inlet and outlet not facing rearward.

Mel, I'm curious as to why they wont work? From what I understand the rad support for the diesel trucks is pretty much unchanged from the 80's through the 90's.

To answer the original question I used the IC from a 99 Super duty.

You can see it here:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/177186852McmAYi

This was before I did the Cummins conversion so it would be similar to what you would need to do on your idi.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,
Is this what you need?

YEA! Where did you get that pic?

As for the rad supports being "unchanged", that's true, but there are at least 2 different types. Early trucks without AC have the wide short radiator, and subsequent core support, while AC model trucks, and then all trucks later have the tall narrow radiator. Compare this picture of the Moose Truck with yours. I bet your radiator doesn't all but touch the batteries on both sides. ;Really

You must be registered for see images

You can also tell the difference, at least with the 80's vintage trucks, when you look at the front below the bumper.

You'll have to use your imagination on that Moosestang pic.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Bell Intercoolers It is the "Single In/Single Out" model. You can get almost any width, height, thickness and inlet/outlet dia. configuration you want. I'd say find a hypermax IC's core dimensions and order that size.

Radcam

Reaction score
Thanks Mel, I didn't think of the radiator itself being so differant.

I would have thought that they would just use a rad with fewer rows in the core in non ac equiped trucks like they do in cars.

Go figure.

bigrigdom

Reaction score
wow! i second that mel. that bell intercooler page is pretty cool. dimensions wise how big(tall, wide, and thick) would you have to go for a 6.9 to see some real benefits? as big as you can stuff in there or could you get away with a smaller one that would require less fabrication to fit and cost less?

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I'm looking at a stock unit from I believe a 2000 to 2002 (?) F350. Radcam, did you have any heating problems when you had your set up? I just want to make sure that it isn't to big.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online