Intercooler size?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok gents... Before you blow up on me I have researched this and am only more confused. I'm trying to figure out what size intercooler I want for my 7.3idi turbo? Got a cool guy (you know who you are) that's hooking me up with the plumbing for it, so I just need the actual intercooler. But I have no idea what size or kind will do me best. Thanks!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would recommend at least a 2.25 inlet and outlet. Usually they have the common 2.5 inlet/outlet. That is plenty for our engines and is easier to pipe than larger stuff.

Otherwise, I would recommend one that can flow 6 to 700 CFM.

Physical size, the largest you can easily fit lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend at least a 2.25 inlet and outlet. Usually they have the common 2.5 inlet/outlet. That is plenty for our engines and is easier to pipe than larger stuff.

Otherwise, I would recommend one that can flow 6 to 700 CFM.

Physical size, the largest you can easily fit lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

See, now that is actually helpful. From everything I've read from googling all over and this website everyone seems to say something different. After seeing X number of different answers and explanations of each it's hard to know who is actually making sense and who is talking just to talk. Would you be able to explain to me sir why you recommend the 600-700 cfm rating? I'm just trying to learn and figure this out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger is better but biggest is best, people have used the 7.3 and 6.0 intercoolers on our trucks so maybe go off of those sizes, the intercooler piping kit is 3 inch so I would want the biggest inlet and outlet you can get.

According to google here's the power stroke intercooler measurements:
7.3 30x18x2
6.0 30x21x2.25

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ask yourself if you are going to stay reletively stock (turbo, turned up pump) or if you will go bigger in the future. Size it according to the turbo you will run. Something is better then nothing, but you might as well not have to do it twice.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself if you are going to stay reletively stock (turbo, turned up pump) or if you will go bigger in the future. Size it according to the turbo you will run. Something is better then nothing, but you might as well not have to do it twice.

Very good point. I think I'm gonna end up with the 6.0 or if it would be too much of a pain to squeeze in there the 7.3 cooler. That way I've got room to spare. For now I plan on keeping the stock turbo but I am gonna be redoing my exhaust and downpipe. And im noodling up a way to use a cowl with aftermarket filtration for the intercooler. So basically just pump the air in there lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online