Installing my crankcase breather into the valve cover

headmark

Hawkeye
Reaction score
Spokane, Washington U.S.A., The Capitol City of th
Here is my question. I'm installing an ATS turbo and need to relocate my crankcase breather to the side of the air box and vent the crankcase through the stock valve cover.

I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about it, but was thinking of removing the valve cover, drilling a hole and using a rubber hose/metal tube and or welded hose nipple/grommet combination.

Anyone done this in the past? What did you do? I'm open to ideas.

Readily available parts are a plus, ease of installation a plus.

TIA,

Pete

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would do an rdt (road draft tube) conversion. If not, I know some have done this 'hole on the valve covers' but it leak over time.

my 2c.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option is, instead of drilling a hole in your valve cover, get the crankcase vent adapter from Banks. This bolts between the injector pump drive gear housing and the oil filler neck. Take a look at the picture below.

You can then go from there to a road draft tube, or to the CDR valve on the ATS setup, or whatever works best for your application.

Including shipping, it was less than $30 IIRC...

I decided to do this with my ATS turbo, since I didn't want to drill ayn holes in my valve covers.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Attachments

• Truck blowby adapter.jpg
    Truck blowby adapter.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 151

headmark

Hawkeye
Reaction score
Spokane, Washington U.S.A., The Capitol City of th
I like that idea better. I have the banks p/n, however I might fabricate my own. Instead of drilling a hole in the valve cover, maybe I'll drill a hole into the cover plate and mount a 90 degree fitting of some sort. Humm. Anymore ideas or thoughts on what to do?

I sure like being able to ask questions and get several ideas or thoughts back. This forum is a great brain stormer.

Pete

bgfire

Reaction score
I went with the Banks adapter, and am currently running an RDT.

Since you have the '93 like I do, you know that you should have a block off plate on the front of the timing cover, since the newer trucks take oil in through a spout at the top of the cover.

As long as wou welded slowly, a little at a time, so that you didn't warp the cover plate, I don't see why you couldn't make you own. I would probably use a 90 degree fitting, and position if up at an angle that allows you to clear what is in you way. I had to put the Banks adapter in opposite of the above picture, as it looked like it was going to hit on the vaccum pump. You will be able to go with a custom angle on a welded adapter.

Bill

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
headmark said:
I like that idea better. I have the banks p/n, however I might fabricate my own. Instead of drilling a hole in the valve cover, maybe I'll drill a hole into the cover plate and mount a 90 degree fitting of some sort. Humm. Anymore ideas or thoughts on what to do?

I sure like being able to ask questions and get several ideas or thoughts back. This forum is a great brain stormer.

Pete

Take a look at this one - http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=19315&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 and please don't shoot the messenger! :)

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
headmark said:

Pete

What is that part number? I gotta git me onea dem. When I hole sawed my valve cover the hole ended up too big for the grommet. It leaks there and is the only oil leak on my engine. I hate oil leaks. Thanks, OkieGringo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OkieGringo said:
What is that part number? I gotta git me onea dem. When I hole sawed my valve cover the hole ended up too big for the grommet. It leaks there and is the only oil leak on my engine. I hate oil leaks. Thanks, OkieGringo
baja-
-------------------------------------------------------------
***Gale Banks Part Numbers***
PN 94042-00 IP gear cover adaptor, for making a road draft tube
--------------------------------------------------------------

This snippet was taken from the "parts bin" article :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a valve cover with a Hypermax crankcase vent port already put into it, if you want it. It sits on my shelf because it leaks. A hole in your valve cover is about as good as a hole in your head. ;p The Banks adapter is best by far.

pafixitman

Reaction score
This is what the factory '94 valve cover looks like. I went w/ the RDT and used the Banks adapter. For about $27, can't beat it.

Attachments

• PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 144

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Thanks TowCat, now I'll just have to see if OldMisterBill has a spare valve cover layin' around. I have an "appointment" to see him next Tuesday. He's been soo busy with all his doctor and lawyer appointments that he doesn't even know what day it is. Thank God for his "Management", Debbie. Thanks Debbie,you're great. OkieGringo

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OkieGringo said:
is the only oil leak on my engine.

WHAT?!

The only part on my engine that Doesn't is the water pump, otherwise, there's oil spewing from every crack and cranny....(sigh)

About 1 quart every 500 mi, and I'm sure it doesn't burn a drop!!

Zigg :)

born2hunt

Old Red
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem as Headmark, but I don't have the heart to cut a hole in my valve cover. So I want to go with the Banks crankcase vent adaptor. The only problem is I can't find one. Does anyone have a link they can post or another name this part might go by?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.