Install complete, home made catch can and intake.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ahhh I was... I thought that was a coolant filter but I never saw that pic you just posted. Ive seen people use fuel filters with drain valves.

Nice job.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what did you use for the end of the intake that screwed to the firewall/cowl?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a great looking setup. Looks very well done. Please post up how it works for you in the future and if there's anything you'd change.

I like that air filter setup. Its just like something I've been wanting to make, or buy. Never could find one. I can't pull from the cowl, which would be great, because I've got a passenger side filter with the 6bt. One question - is there a drain of any sort on the filter housing? I'd be slightly concerned with driving through a rainstorm without one, any water sucked in would pull up and eventually come in the intake.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter is a spectre brand K&N style knock off cone filter.

My butt dyno is telling me that throttle response has definitely improved. It sounds a lot better as well. I figure anything is an improvement over trying to suck air through the oil soaked paper/foam filter in that funky ATS box. I'm really hoping the catch can will do a good job of stopping so much oil from going through the turbo. The main reason I did this was all the oil coming from the CDR was soaking my air filters and had completely permeated the boot connecting the turbo to the air box. It was so slimy that the clamps wouldn't hold it. When I removed it this last time, it had partially sucked the boot off the turbo lip and was working it's way into the blades. I already have some oil accumulation in the can, so it's looking good.

Did you look into cleaning the or replacing the CDR? or a compression test for the massive amount of oil you speak of in the air intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a draft tube? And too much oil passing through the inlet side if the turbo to feed the engine is not good at all. Or am I missing something here?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Just curious, what did you use for the end of the intake that screwed to the firewall/cowl?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

That's a Hypermax cowl induction system. I believe they still sell it, it comes with the plastic firewall piece and some 4" hose to connect to your air box.

That is a great looking setup. Looks very well done. Please post up how it works for you in the future and if there's anything you'd change.

I like that air filter setup. Its just like something I've been wanting to make, or buy. Never could find one. I can't pull from the cowl, which would be great, because I've got a passenger side filter with the 6bt. One question - is there a drain of any sort on the filter housing? I'd be slightly concerned with driving through a rainstorm without one, any water sucked in would pull up and eventually come in the intake.

No drain yet, but I have been running the cowl intake for a couple years now without issue. The ATS box did have a drain hole in it though. I will keep my eye on it for now. The intake hole is well above the bottom of the cowl area so the water would have to pool up really quick in order to ingest more than just mist.

Did you look into cleaning the or replacing the CDR? or a compression test for the massive amount of oil you speak of in the air intake?

I cleaned the old one several times and eventually replaced it.

Why not a draft tube? And too much oil passing through the inlet side if the turbo to feed the engine is not good at all. Or am I missing something here?

I was thinking about an RDT, but I didn't want the extra smoke associated with it. The system I have now will hopefully function like the CDR did, just with a catch can to stop the oil from getting to the turbo but still letting the motor ingest the smoke. I'm just hoping it isn't to restrictive and causes pressure in the crankcase. If that happens I may do the RDT or run the hose to the exhaust pipe.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hated my RDT. I had a 1.25" ID hose coming off the injection pump housing to allow the gases to escape as easily as possible. It still leaked oil through every seal, and the thick smoke that these high compression IDIs produce is rank and attention getting.

This setup looks great. The engine will pull a slight vacuum on the crankcase, but the catch can combined with CDR should scavenge almost all of the oil out. Best of both worlds.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
i got around to installing mine today.the banks 2nd gen kit was poorly fitted,both with the filter lip/clamp and with a major gap in the housing around the rear of the filter.
major upgrade.so much more enjoyable to get to the filter now! and a total seal!

Scott,is this filter a reusable wash and re-oil filter? ...........and how do you remove it lol! i removed the allen head screws but was unable to remove the end cap.what am i missing?

edit;
this is chip truck.log truck will most likely get one now too.

double edit;
and i still need the catch cans to keep the oil out of my intercooler and piping.
ah man.there's always more to do.:D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-HPR9831-Conical-Filter/dp/B005BHXVLM

yeah ok so theres the filter it comes with here.i thought it was a wash/oil "K n N" style filter.
so i was able to spray the oil on it through the opening.looks like i can simply wash the whole works out without even frigging with taking it apart in the future.i think this will be a winner.
took it for a drive and man does that whistle harder now from the cowl with a complete seal.im satisfied already.
i think i'll rig up a strap to go around it and connect to the banks mount to eliminate vibration on the mount.

I was thinking about an RDT, but I didn't want the extra smoke associated with it. The system I have now will hopefully function like the CDR did, just with a catch can to stop the oil from getting to the turbo but still letting the motor ingest the smoke. I'm just hoping it isn't to restrictive and causes pressure in the crankcase. If that happens I may do the RDT or run the hose to the exhaust pipe.

how's the setup been working out for ya?

Last edited:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to give you guys a heads up about your air filters there is this thread

Click

I believe IDIot had a thread about them as well. I dont know if another brand will fit your intakes or not, but hopefully you can just change the filter out to a different brand, because the rest of it looks sweet.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn! that sure sucks.just when i thought i found the perfect solution.now to figure out how the filter removes and see if the banks KnN will fit in there or not.im guessing not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online