Install complete, home made catch can and intake.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Today I managed to get my new intake system and the oil catch can I made installed. Everything went together like it was a kit made for my truck. The turbo sound in the cab has really increased and my catch can is already doing it's thing. I also tossed in a new set of motorcraft plugs while everything was clear. If you want details on my catch can, they are in here. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-catch-can-would-it-be-better-with-a-breather

Here's some pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

I did put clamps on the hoses from the CDR and catch can, I just hadn't located them yet at the time of the picture.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty.... the million dollar question is how does it work?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The filter is a spectre brand K&N style knock off cone filter.

My butt dyno is telling me that throttle response has definitely improved. It sounds a lot better as well. I figure anything is an improvement over trying to suck air through the oil soaked paper/foam filter in that funky ATS box. I'm really hoping the catch can will do a good job of stopping so much oil from going through the turbo. The main reason I did this was all the oil coming from the CDR was soaking my air filters and had completely permeated the boot connecting the turbo to the air box. It was so slimy that the clamps wouldn't hold it. When I removed it this last time, it had partially sucked the boot off the turbo lip and was working it's way into the blades. I already have some oil accumulation in the can, so it's looking good.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where exactly is the filter located? Might be a stupid question, but I don't see where it could be according to the pictures. And I like the setup might try to duplicate that on my truck once I get the turbo installed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Where exactly is the filter located? Might be a stupid question, but I don't see where it could be according to the pictures. And I like the setup might try to duplicate that on my truck once I get the turbo installed

The filter is located inside the large cylinder in the middle, between the two t-bolt clamps.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see... I'm trying to figure up some way to fab up a CAI and I like what you did with the intake. I'm not going to bother with the catch can, I'll just make an RDT. But you say it's just a normal cone style air filter inside the stainless cylinder? I'd be interested to see how you put that together. I'm just against the factory air box and I don't want to just run some pipe with a filter hanging off the end sucking up hot under hood air

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ain't that something.
I never knew they made such a thing. Ive been wanting to do something like that with an inline filter and route a pipe to draw good cool air. Ill be ordering one of those.
Thanks for showing me that

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
sweet write up! ive always wondered about a setup like yours. works great with the cowl intake.

do you plan on wrapping the air filter housing to help from engine heat?

pep boys sells spectre stuff too

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I never thought about the heat wrap, that's a pretty good idea.

I got a few more pics. Here is the bracket that allowed me to mount the filter to the valve cover using an existing CDR retaining bolt.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it, I ordered the inline spectra filter today. I'm gonna make it where I'm drawing air in from the factory location right on top the radiator support.
That is an awesome setup kinda surprised more people don't go that route, turbo or N/A

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have only known about this air box for a few weeks. I was looking through a catalog for tubing and ran across it. It worked out better than I had hoped. The filter and the blue boot(odd size, 2.75" to 3") were the only parts I had to order, everything else was available at the local auto parts store.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Only thing im wondering about is why you put shut off valves on the filter if its only for blow by.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Only thing im wondering about is why you put shut off valves on the filter if its only for blow by.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Are you sure you aren't looking at the coolant filter? I don't have any valves on the catch can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online