Injector return lines and plastic t's

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
where's a good place to get the full return line kit and t's. i have an extra set of o-rings and copper o-rings so i don't need anymore of them.

thanks,
-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Ya What he said ^^^

sorry, was a little unclear,cookoo i was checking e-bay and all the injector installiation kits come with the plastic pieces for the injectors and the hose, plus it usually includes all the copper o-rings and rubber o-rings for the injectors. well when i bought my injectors it came with all the o-rings, plus the engine gasket set had more. i'd like to save a few bucks and not have to buy the o-rings, but if i do anyhow, where's the best place to get the kit from?? :confused:

thganks,
-Jon

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are at the right place - they are cheap on ebay and you never know when you'll need extra O-rings and injector washers. Regardless of where you buy, every return kit I've ever purchased comes with the washers and O rings... they wouldn't save any money selling them without those parts, they probably add up to a wholesale price of a dollar or two.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
You are at the right place - they are cheap on ebay and you never know when you'll need extra O-rings and injector washers. Regardless of where you buy, every return kit I've ever purchased comes with the washers and O rings... they wouldn't save any money selling them without those parts, they probably add up to a wholesale price of a dollar or two.

gotcha...

thanks,
-Jon :rolleyes:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Can you get these kits at Carquest, Ford or Napa? My return lines are sweating WMO in spots so it's time to change them. I have a roll of the proper IH return line but I don't have the T's and o-rings/washers. I think the added viscosity of the WMO might be making a little more pressure on the return system.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon too - my buddy just picked up an '86 F250 2wd yesterday, and it leaks at the O-rings under the plastic caps, so we'll need the whole kit. Also, he's planning on running WVO & WMO, what O-rings will he need for that, and where does can he get them from? And while we're at it - would an International dealer have the fuel feed line from the fuel filter head to the injection pump, and if not where to get one from? The one in the truck is crimped, still works but we want a new one...

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got all the orings i needed for about 3 dollars at a local napa, and the fuel line i used injector hose we have at lowes that was..probably less than 6 or 7 dollars.
didnt need to replace the hats.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I ordered some T's and o-rings from Ford today....I'd like to have the T's incase I break one or one is already cracked. I got my return hose from International. Got the IH Diamond right on it.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's actually the 7.3 rebuild kit, most 6.9s use smaller hoses and the ports come off the centers of the caps, and not off the sides like these. Here's the correct 6.9 kit I just found:

http://dieselhelp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13_25&products_id=58

Make sure you you clock on the "compare kits" link on the bottom of the page to see what exactly the deal is with the 6.9 vs 7.3 return lines.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think it does - the my buddy's 6.9 looks like it uses smaller hoses, which would mean the port at the filter head and also those on the steel return line will also be different than the 7.3 stuff - will look at them closer when we get around to swapping the glowplugs Thursday, but I'm quite positive they are indeed different size.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it matters as long as you change the whole kit and be consistent with parts. The 7.3 kit uses a hair bigger ID return caps and hose. The orings and injector washers are the same. People say not to use a standard oring in a return system, and my experience is off the shelf orings will weep before diesel specific ones, but they may have been natural or butyl rubber if they were neoprene or viton that would not happen I suspect. You can get the return kit at NAPA but you're going to get "hosed" pun intended.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD, my concern was where the hoses meet the hard lines, I think the 6.9 uses the 3/16 hoses so if you slip the 1/4 hose from 7.3 on a 3/16 port for a 6.9 it may not seal quite right... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger