injector O rings and fun

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
I replaced my injector O-rings and glow plugs and relay. Truck started nearly fine, but however, the driver side spouts are spouting a fair amount of oil. The passanger side aint doing very much. Rough idle and lots of smoke. What possible step did I miss?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The passenger side still has air entrained in the oil rail. Take her out and run the **** out of it for about 20 miles. She'll straighten right out.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
One more question then. Any plugs in the oil rail that I can remove to purge the air out while I still have the valve covers off??

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, the oil galley plug pictured below helps to drain the oil rail but its easiest to purge the rail through the injectors. Try unplugging the IDM and cranking for about 30 seconds, wait a few minutes and crank again for 30 seconds...... repeat several times and plug the IDM back in and fire it up. See if you have better oil flow on the pass. side. Then run the **** out of her. :D

Attachments

• oilgalley.jpg
    oilgalley.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Cool. I went out to the truck and cranked it up. Reved the crap out of it, got some oil out if the spouts. Now its time to go get kicked in the nuts putting back on the valve covers and turbo intake goodies. I did notice that there was oil coming the tail pipe. I guess it was from when I purged the oil and fuel out of the cylinders. I did that both ways. First was with both injectors and GPs out. Second was GP's out till haze was coming out the holes. I guess oil goes anywheres . Time to put it back together.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o RINGS

IT TOOK 2 HOURS OF DRIVING TO GET mine to a point were the air was out. and I pre bleed them with the starter.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Now I need a pic of the bracket that hold the dipstick to the valve cover. I think Im missing some parts...