Injector knock?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
use a screw driver as a stethiscope to listen to the injectors. or just buy a cheap stethiscope. Thats how mechanics used to diagnose engines. now they just plug them into a computer

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
use a screw driver as a stethiscope to listen to the injectors. or just buy a cheap stethiscope. Thats how mechanics used to diagnose engines. now they just plug them into a computer

That's how mechanics STILL diagnose engines. I don't know what you call these guys that can't wipe their hind end without an electronic box to plug in to tell them what to do.... but it's not a mechanic.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shoot i wish i knew what an injector knock sounded like versus my motor.... at this point i know it needs injectors pump etc.......its a dog.

If you want to safely hear what injector knock is, do as suggested in finding the cylinder knocking.

Loosen just one injector line.... sloooooowly, until it starts to leak fuel. continue turning slowly until the engine sound changes.... the knock will be very evident. Once you've heard the knock, re-tighten the injector until no more leaking. There will be no need to completely remove the injector line.

Oh! And stay as far away from any moving parts as possible.... no need to yank your hoodie string into a fan or buncha belts....your head will be sure to follow.

If the truck is a dog, try changing out the fuel filter before buying more expensive parts.... you'd be surprised at what a ten dollar part will do.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I do my fair share of screw driver and stethoscope listening, computers are only good for stuff with a sensor attached to it listening is the only way sometimes.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to safely hear what injector knock is, do as suggested in finding the cylinder knocking.

Loosen just one injector line.... sloooooowly, until it starts to leak fuel. continue turning slowly until the engine sound changes.... the knock will be very evident. Once you've heard the knock, re-tighten the injector until no more leaking. There will be no need to completely remove the injector line.

Oh! And stay as far away from any moving parts as possible.... no need to yank your hoodie string into a fan or buncha belts....your head will be sure to follow.

If the truck is a dog, try changing out the fuel filter before buying more expensive parts.... you'd be surprised at what a ten dollar part will do.

Yeh I am a shop teacher...so no hoodie strings for me. As for fuel system....all is fresh except injectors and ip. And for rod knock i would say that yes i have a screwy injector because it almost sounds like i have a rod knock similar to what my 350 had.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That's how mechanics STILL diagnose engines. I don't know what you call these guys that can't wipe their hind end without an electronic box to plug in to tell them what to do.... but it's not a mechanic.

you still need to know what the diag scanner is telling you and you still need to know how to physically fix it. i would call them mechanics.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ya'll i think i will forego all the testing of the injectors and just scrape the money up for new, i have no clue as to if these are replacements or originals...so maybe i can replace them and breath a little life back into it!! then scrape more money up for a moose pump..

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Are you running any fuel additive? My new injectors will tick and carry on if I dont add any 2 stroke oil (the gasser kind) or power service. might want to try a heavy dose of additive and see if it helps. And to be honest, if its ticking it may not be the end of the world.

Also I think its best if your injector pump is worn out as well to go ahead and wait til you can afford to replace both the pump and the injectors at once. A wore out pump might have problems trying to pop off new injectors.

10fords

Reaction score
When I had an injector knocking the metal line running to it was hot compared to the others. It was real obvious. I replaced them all anyways as I figured the others weren't far behind in wearing out.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
When I had an injector knocking the metal line running to it was hot compared to the others. It was real obvious. I replaced them all anyways as I figured the others weren't far behind in wearing out.

It is highly recommended to replace them as a set as the pop off pressure will be vastly different between an old and new injector.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks... i will throw some additive in it and see if that helps in the mean time..will check for heated lines as well..

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Another low cost option (to do before the high cost ones) is to, warm engine, turn off engine, remove fuel filter, fill new filter with ATF, replace filter, start & run, for a minute or two & shut off for overnight. This will clean your IP and injectors.

Raging debate as to using Ford or GM ATF (Just kidding, I don't think it matters)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin