1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injection pump timing

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by John Scott, Feb 21, 2021.

1. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Yes it will. Homelessduck uses it.

92 dizzel and homelessduck like this.
  2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I'm thinking about getting one myself. What type of timing light do you use with it? That's the same type that we used to use in the shop I used to work at. I have no idea what timing light it was. The light and meter were both there before I started there.

3. CharlesG

CharlesG Registered User

You don't need to use a timing light with the DTI setup. It does have a trigger for a timing light if you want to use one.

homelessduck likes this.
  4. homelessduck

homelessduck Full Access Member

My mag probe hole is wobbly on my 6.9 so I just used a cheap timing light I got for free. Any timing light will work.

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Doesn't it have to plug in to the meter in the spot labeled "timing light"? That's where ours hooked up.

6. CharlesG

CharlesG Registered User

Not on this model. From the instructions; C0D72AED-C095-4612-A923-F2EC6D3B7BCC.jpeg
    8E0AFC27-514E-4E11-8A5A-F276436D1CE4.jpeg

IDIBRONCO, homelessduck and Scotty4 like this.
  7. homelessduck

On this meter you can clamp any basic timing light around that metal bar on the back of the meter in the picture above. It's a very versatile meter :) .

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  8. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

I used that same meter to time my truck a week or so ago. I found it quite good.

The transducer is marked 6.35. That's 6.35mm. It translates to 1/4 inch, which is what our trucks have for injector lines. At first I thought it was too small, but it worked perfectly.

The only problem I had was that the tachometer on the meter did not agree with the tach on the truck. There was about 150 rpm difference between the two. I had the meter sitting on the hood so I could see both tachs. There was a difference.

ttman4 and IDIBRONCO like this.
  9. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Maybe our timing light did hook up the same way. I really don't remember right now. Anyway, timing light hook up aside, I did just pull the trigger on one. Now I'll just have to buy a timing light. It's about time. I've needed one for years. The last time that I asked the closest diesel shop (to me) about setting the timing, it was going to be $80 and that was 5 or 6 years ago. It could be $100 now. At those rates, it won't take many times to pay for this meter and a light. That's not counting the costs of fuel and time to drive there. By the way, I'm also not real impressed by them and I've had a couple of other people tell me the same thing.

10. homelessduck

You don't need a timing light if your timing tube on your engine is solid. The meter comes with the mag probe. I just have to use a light because my timing tube is wonky and moves around.

11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I've always used a light and I prefer that method. I may experiment with the mag probe, but then again, maybe not. At this point, I don't know the condition of the timing tube on my engine. I've seen them loose like yours, I've also seen the entire bracket missing. I know, if the bracket's missing, then you can't time one of our engines without the luminosity probe.

homelessduck likes this.
  12. John Scott

John Scott Full Access Member

I got it on ebay... u r welcome to it when I am done with it if u want

92 dizzel likes this.
  13. 92 dizzel

92 dizzel Registered User

How much???

I'm so sick of not knowing where my timing is

14. renjaminfrankln

renjaminfrankln Full Access Member

You will likely need to grind the probe pickup down slightly to fit. Its just a slightly larger diameter than the IDI 's timing port. The timing light will work with no modifications, but I prefer the probe, it seems more accurate and easier to use.

I have the same unit.

92 dizzel likes this.
  15. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

I have the DTI unit. I seem to recall that the add said it was for a Humvee, but that it would work on other trucks as well. Once I cleaned the port with a drill bit (twisted by hand only) the probe fit perfectly. You can also use a timing light, but the timing unit did not come with one.