Injection Pump Life Expectancy?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Trying to remember what the life expectancy on our injection pumps are. I thought my memory was telling me about 100k? I am currently sitting at 108k and on the original pump. Just started thinking it may be time. I would hate to be out on the road camping this summer and have it go out on me in the middle of nowhere. So will I be safe for the season or am I treading on thin ice?
Thanks,
Tristan

Also, may I be missing out on some performance with a worn pump?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100,000 miles is average. They can and will go longer with regular (every fill up) doses of Fred's Hair Tonic (fuel additive).

Heath

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Mine died at 128,000 miles. It was on a 94 factory turbo, started spitting diesel out the weep hole.

aaklingler

Reaction score
i would say 100k is closer to the min then the average. I got 200k out of the first one on the 92 and the 93 is currently at 210k.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
typically you don't have a pump fail to where it just stops working - not to say that doesn't happen but typically you get a little warning like hard starts, won't start when hot or something of that nature. But in most cases what you see at around 100k+ is the performance starts to dwindle off - you don't notice it because it happens gradually but once you install a new pump you notice it. I would say that if you're a little tight on money with the upcoming RV'n season then just wait until this fall to do something with the pump - I mean if it's not broke then don't fix it just yet. Keep on giving it a good lube in every tank and enjoy at this point.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second what Travis said. Fortunately, by and large, they don't "die" on you and leave you stranded somewhere, but you will either have intermitent problems, poor performance or leaks. I hate to say it, but I just changed the spark plugs in my 4.0L Ranger for the first time ever. It ran fine, but I wanted to give it a tune up before starting my new job. I couldn't believe those things. At 112K, the electrodes had burned off level with the insulator, and about half of the ground lead was erroded away. The gaps were almost 3/16" :eek: The new plugs are .045 and now I have a little more power I didn't know I was missing. Replacing the IP at 100K is something you should do if you can afford it, but you don't miss what you don't know you lost.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I am glad to hear they don't go suddenly and leave a person stranded. I think it will have to wait a while. Maybe like Aaklinger I will get close to 200k...

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definatly wait till it starts doing wired things!The odd one lives to be a ripe old age!And using the groth formula will definatly gain ya sum. :rotflmao

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Tristan said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I am glad to hear they don't go suddenly and leave a person stranded. I think it will have to wait a while. Maybe like Aaklinger I will get close to 200k...

246,000 and still going on original pump and injectors. Planning on changing them this summer. Pump is starting to smoke like a Kenworth on startup and power is down. Like Mel said, you don't realize what you're missing until you get it back.

Tom

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
177,000 On mine and Ive probably run the thing out of fuel 20 times since I have had. The construction worker before me talked about running it out of fuel too. Somehow it survives. Yes, I know I am an idiot for running out of diesel that many times. Always starts up with about 30 seconds of cranking though.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I've been told the part that wears the most is the timing advance plunger. Which causes hard starting, more grey smoke and, loss of power. I agree with Travis, if it ain't broke...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
170,000 on original pump and injectors...runs grrrreeeaaat! ;Sweet

Got some little oil leaks though... ;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mine has about 250k on the original pump and injectors. Thing runs good, bit i bet it would run better with a fresh setup. It was used primarily for highway towing before I got it, could be a little easier on the parts.

--------Robert