Injection pump help needed!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, good thing I asked the question before pulling the trigger. I gotta find one I can afford here real soon as my truck is getting harder and harder to start. The pump is leaking worse and worse
Where is it leaking from?
Make sure it's not leaking from the inlet fitting / "olive". Fuel will go forward under the pump and appear like it's coming from the weep-hole when it's actually coming from the fuel supply line.

Also, if it's just a particular seal, you can get re-seal kits for like $35. As long as you are careful taking it apart and look at instructions, don't mess with most of the internals(anything that needs to be recalibrated), you will be fine. I've done it twice so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really happy you showed the forum the actual pump. Sadly it WILL NOT WORK on our engine. It will fit but has too many different pieces on it that our pumps do not have.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as your core is good, then the core charge doesn't matter. They charge a high core charge so that they can get your core in return.

I'm aware of that but not all of us have the extra lying around even though you'll get it back and RockAuto doesn't allow you to send a core in before shipping your part so you HAVE to pay the core.

Dustinmhowe

Reaction score
I'm looking into the R&D pump since they are not too far from here and seem to be a little less money. Are there any other that are recommended besides the moose and r&d?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into the R&D pump since they are not too far from here and seem to be a little less money. Are there any other that are recommended besides the moose and r&d?
I really recommend R&D. I've been really happy with what all he's sold me so far(RD2-110 ip, stg1 injectors, crossover pipe for my Banks). I've also talked to Justin(the owner) in person a couple of times, and I'm convinced he knows what he's doing.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
It has an advance piston so it would advance as rpms go up but it's missing the assembly that retards the timing with increased throttle. It's the same function a vacuum line to the distributor has in a gas engine. I had an old boat that had a distributor without the vacuum line. It's because load is more consistent in a boat since water doesn't exactly go up hill and once you get to cruising speed you stay there for hours in many cases. Basically if you could get it hooked up your truck would rattle bad under load at low rpms. You'd never get the advance curve right.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has an advance piston so it would advance as rpms go up but it's missing the assembly that retards the timing with increased throttle. It's the same function a vacuum line to the distributor has in a gas engine. I had an old boat that had a distributor without the vacuum line. It's because load is more consistent in a boat since water doesn't exactly go up hill and once you get to cruising speed you stay there for hours in many cases. Basically if you could get it hooked up your truck would rattle bad under load at low rpms. You'd never get the advance curve right.
Actually, I think it would smoke like a **** when cold and under light-load. The advance assembly is at it's most advanced at idle, and most retarded at full throttle.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well what you see on the outside is most advanced at idle, but the advance piston advances with rpm, rpm increases internal IP pressure and pushes against the retarding mechanism on the outside. They work against each other with a spring in between. Just the same as the spring weights in a distributor advance with rpm and the vacuum retards it to give you the right timing for load and rpm together.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you can drive to him, he may be able to time it for you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dustinmhowe

Reaction score
Ok so I decided on the R&D pump... the rd2-90. Should I change the injectors while its torn apart? Truck is a factory turbo with stock injectors and 201k miles on it.