Injection pump help needed!

Dustinmhowe

Reaction score
I have a 94 f350 factory turbo idi with the e4od. I need to replace the injection pump and found a new old stock db2-5090. Will it work on my truck?
Based on my research this is a marine pump but I have read that any db2 pump would work. I want to make sure before I spend $400.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest just spending a few more dollars and getting a pump from Conestoga diesel or R&D performance. Anything else has been proven on this forum to be a crapshoot....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Yes is the short answer but.. you may need to remove a roll pin from the drivers side throttle shaft to install your E4OD drive piece on that end of your injection pump. The switch it drives is called the TPS. Once that switch is off the pump you will see the drive dog. It has 2 very small allen screws and you MUST install it correctly on the new pump. PLEASE take a pic of how this drive is attached to your pump before you remove it. Use your cell phone for pics. That TPS must have a voltage setting too so a digital voltmeter is required for this. Before you remove it might be a great idea to verify what your voltage is. Factory setting is anywhere between .96 to 1.2 volts at wide open throttle key on but engine not running. Being a new member here you should know how to correctly remove the injection pump.Please tell us what your experiance is on mechanical issues like this. Some important tools are needed too. You have three drive bolts behind the front diamond cover plate that are a 12 point 5/16 hex. These bolts are the same bolts found on our rear driveshaft flange.the torque on these injection pump are 25 ft lbs. Sounds like a lot but they are hardened steel specials. Please do not remove the injection pump mounting gear housing by the 4 bolts seen on top of the housing.That will cause you to loose the injection pump to cam gear timing and you will be in deep trouble getting it corrected. There are easy ways of removing the injection pump if you use this forums search item. Asking and taking pics can really help you do this job.

gandalf

Reaction score
A marine version? That in and of itself should be not a great problem. What marine engine was it mounted on? That could be an important question. As I recall some GM engines had a DB2 pump which rotated in an opposite direction to the Ford pumps. That would be a very definite problem. You must find the rotation direction.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Does rotation really mean anything but verifying the injector line positions? I have no experience inside an IP, so do not know if there are any rotation-direction specific parts.

If it is indeed an NOS part and can be modified to accept his E4OD parts (and is not opposite rotation specific), I would not hesitate to put it on. $400 seems like a pretty decent price for an original.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That one would fit on our engines, but it's not set up right to work in our trucks. I don't see a place for the fast idle solenoid to bolt on (could be wrong on that one), the throttle cable hook up is different than ours, and I don't see the arm that goes down the driver's side of the pump. I don't recall what that arm's for right now. I think it may be for timing advance. A marine application doesn't need a timing advance like our trucks do since those engines usually run at a steady speed for longer periods of time. Our trucks usually see a lot of variations in engine speed as we drive around going through the different gears in our transmissions. The main time that our engines see fairly steady speed is during long trips down the highway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you brought that into my shop to be installed. I'd refuse the job.
here's why.
1) extensive throttle linkage changeover.
2) the advance is locked out. the advance is what gives you the power when revving up the motor.
3) max rpm is obivously limited. note how narrow the throw is for the throttle kicker.
spend the extra $150 for a moose pump or a pump from R&D.

Dustinmhowe

Reaction score
Thanks, good thing I asked the question before pulling the trigger. I gotta find one I can afford here real soon as my truck is getting harder and harder to start. The pump is leaking worse and worse

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&D performance, Russ aka typ4, or Conestoga diesel fuel injection for injection pumps is the bees knees.
Anywhere else, hate to say this, but it’ll likely be junk. Too many newbies have spent more $ finding this out the hard way, including myself years ago.
It’s hard to justify spending $700 on a new pump until you have to do the job a second time shortly after buying a cheap $h!t pump that doesn’t work well. Just my .02

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Does rotation really mean anything but verifying the injector line positions? I have no experience inside an IP, so do not know if there are any rotation-direction specific parts.
Yes and no. Have you ever tried bending those lines to fit? Lol likely end up with cracked lines.
If it is indeed an NOS part and can be modified to accept his E4OD parts (and is not opposite rotation specific), I would not hesitate to put it on.
OTOH, we've also seen what happens when a pump has sat on the shelf for a long time

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R&D performance, Russ aka typ4, or Conestoga diesel fuel injection for injection pumps is the bees knees.
Anywhere else, hate to say this, but it’ll likely be junk. Too many newbies have spent more $ finding this out the hard way, including myself years ago.
It’s hard to justify spending $700 on a new pump until you have to do the job a second time shortly after buying a cheap $h!t pump that doesn’t work well. Just my .02
^^^^^^ what he said. Better to do it right the first time. Plus you get a reputable rebuilt pump. And people who will definitely stand behind their product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest ones I can find are $437.79 from RockAuto. Most parts stores ones are $500-up so hardly worth trying to economize over a "good" one.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest ones I can find are $437.79 from RockAuto. Most parts stores ones are $500-up so hardly worth trying to economize over a "good" one.

Did you see the core charge for some of those? I looked out of curiosity and one of those had a $600 core charge!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As long as your core is good, then the core charge doesn't matter. They charge a high core charge so that they can get your core in return.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online