In Need Of A Little Powerstroke Advice

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy gents. Normally I'm down in the basement with the rest of the IDI neanderthals, but I looked at a 95 Powerstroke today that I really liked, but I have a couple of questions/concerns.

First and foremost, it's got a pretty good oil leak that is coming from the oil pan where the dipstick tube enters it. The current owner told me that he had no problem getting the replacement o-ring kit from Ford, but how hard is this to replace?

Second, the glow plug circuit doesn't work, and it's already had a new controller put in with no effect. Plugged in, it fires right off, however, the owner told me it has an innermittent rough idle. I am guessing that it's a bad harness and/or injectors.

It's got a fresh complete rebuild on the automatic trans and it shifts well and the converter locked up ok, but I did notice when I let it shift and lock up early (like around 35 mph), it seemed to buck a little. It went away as soon as the truck came up to speed, and it may be a result of the rough idle, but I am wondering if anybody's got any experience with this.

So if I decide to do all the work myself and I assume it needs two harnesses, a set of glow plugs and a set of injectors (all stock parts), what am I looking at dollar wise and rough hours for R&R?

Sorry for all the ignorance, just trying to see what it might cost me should I decide to add a newer machine to the fleet.

Thanks

R. J.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1). You have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off, easy fix once oil pan is off. Can't cheat it off on the PSD because of the oil pick up tube.

2). Test the Harness and GPs before dropping $$$$$$$

Tranny ??????? no clue here.

Cost
Bean is the 7.3 guru.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really no way to reseal that dipstick tube without pulling the engine? I was hoping I could try to get away with just sneaking an o-ring down the tube on the outside of the pan.

Oh well: that's why I asked, thanks for the help Tonka.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
...................................................You must resist the call to the darkside..........................you must resist it................. LOL

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really no way to reseal that dipstick tube without pulling the engine?

There is no way to do it correctly w/out pulling the engine, but I do know its been done before by others who have not pulled the engine.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but look at what it cost to fix it???:puke:

When was the last time you priced an IP or turbo for an IDI, each has their good and bad points. 7.3 psd parts prices are coming down.

And it already has the turbo which is inexpensive and easy to rebuild your self.

And there are a lot less threads here asking how to get more power out of the PSD than there are in the basement:kick: ;p LOL

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Like you have room to talk there chebby gasser lover:puke:

If I was gonna get a gasser half ton, a Silverado would be it.
I'm seriously thinking about replacing the PSD with an OBS Dodge Cummins..
I dropped 1500 bucks in this thing in the last two weeks, still didn't do the repair properly or completely, just cheated it by with enough to keep it rolling under it's own power..

Honestly, these PSD's are rapidly dropping off my Top 40...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
There is no way to do it correctly w/out pulling the engine, but I do know its been done before by others who have not pulled the engine.

yes it can be done....more than likely it's the connector that is out of shape from either overtightening or missing the notch....dip stick to pan connector F4TZ6751B
You can try and back off the outer gland nut and spray it down with brake clean and seal it up with some of the Wacker sealant from Navistar.....just a suggestion :D

PS...don't forget to get a new O ring for the tube to adaptor!

Regarding the UVC harness.....
outside visual inspection will not show this :eek: .....
You must be registered for see images attach

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
When was the last time you priced an IP or turbo for an IDI, each has their good and bad points. 7.3 psd parts prices are coming down.

And it already has the turbo which is inexpensive and easy to rebuild your self.

And there are a lot less threads here asking how to get more power out of the PSD than there are in the basement:kick: ;p LOL

I see your point and will follow the darkness.;Really

streaker

Reaction score
BowTech FTW.

To the OP, you can have the injectors re-built by Jim at DIY injectors, I won't quote prices just send him an e-mail. You might also try cleaning the IPR. Like the others said, check the glow plugs.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dipstick is not that bad. First, it could just be the nut is loose. I believe it is 2". I tightened mine and got over a turn on it! If not, here's what you do:
1. Duct tape tube to the adapter in the oil pan. This is temporary to keep the adapter from falling in the pan!
2. Remove clamp that holds dipstick to valve cover.
3. Remove 2" nut.
4. Push assembly into oil pan and fish old o-ring off the threads and pull out. Cussing WILL help.
5. Slide old oring up the tube and remove.
6. Clean mating surfaces with a rag.
7. Slide new oring down the tube. Cuss more.
8. Slide nut back down around the tube.
9. Start nut. Cuss some.
10. Tighten nut. Remove duct tape.....this ain't NASCAR!
11. Drink beer.
12. Drink more beer....cuss when beer runs out.

My 12 step program.:D

Jerry

Last edited: