I'm Up And Running Again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Today I finished the head stud replacement issue. Also I changed out all the freeze plugs I had installed and checked with 35 lbs of air. non leaked then... But now I had 4 that showed some leakage. I didn't use any sealant on them but I did this time. Plus I really installed them way better that the second shop did. The really bad part of these plugs is the only way to know how well they are installed is to remove them... Not a good design at all.. Some of the plugs came out really easy and some were really in there. Non of them looked any differant from the easy or hard ones either. I measured the original plugs in my block with around 300,000 miles on it. I made a installer tool and it worked fine.... Tomorrow I run it about 200 miles then Sat. I make a run to Scotsdale with 3 horses. Heres hopeing it runs fine....:D Funny thing about this recent work is the motor seems to run smoother than before. Like its been balanced differantly....:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Funny thing about this recent work is the motor seems to run smoother than before. Like its been balanced differantly....:dunno

Must be that socket you left hanging off the rod bolt :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Sorry, I couldn't resist :D Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I won't say that thing that'll bring Murphy running out of the woodwork.

Scottsdale ought to give the thing a good shakedown. Are you going to have the horses both ways in case you have to hitch them up to get home ?

I was just looking at my engine on the stand while gathering more parts up today and I realized that when they put this engine together, they left the washers off the head bolts :confused: . I guess in the long run it was a good thing the freeze plug blew out so I'm finding this stuff, before I head out your way later this year to visit family.

--------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They left the washers off the head bolts??? Was this supposed to be a real mechanic shop or some redneck who thought "ah you don't really NEED those washers they fit just fine without" ? Just basic caution should tell you not to leave out something like that in a high impact situation like an engine. Gary glad you're back on the road, here's hoping it will last 300,000 miles or more like it should before you have to fix it again.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They left the washers off the head bolts??? Was this supposed to be a real mechanic shop or some redneck who thought "ah you don't really NEED those washers they fit just fine without" ? Just basic caution should tell you not to leave out something like that in a high impact situation like an engine.

That's standard operating procedure for most of the *professionals* in this region cookoo . The quality of the mechanics around here is what keeps the new car business thriving.If I were still able to turn a wrench full time, I'd be rich. Most of the yo-yos around here have never cracked a book in their lives and they break more than they fix. I got this engine one state over, not any better.
Around here there's only about a half dozen other mechanics that I can have an intelligent conversation with and only 2 who I will send my old customers to, and they aren't far from retirement either, and one machine shop that can be trusted ( a second shop that does great with more average things, but they are good enough to know the limitations of their equipment and their skills and won't bite off more than they can chew ;Sweet )

When I get to where I can't fix my own anymore, I'll have to buy brand new vehicles and trade them every few years while still under full warranty, because there's no way I'd want to have to depend on the average shops around here to stay on the road.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gary-
good to see you up and running again;Sweet
feel like working in a run down to Sandy Eggo to take a look at what's left of a CC dually for me?:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually Calvin I'm on my way in about 15 minutes to temucla for a cyro visit on our two horses that are in the Scotsdale show. Otherwise I'll be home on Monday and will be able to have a look see then. The bottom end was never opened up so no... Nothing hanging on the rod nuts.... Maybe something on the torque converter though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head bolts I have have a flange built on and no washer???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Something just came to mind about that odd maybe balance sounding better. I wonder how long those studs were broken. If it had been a while and they were rattling around in the holes, they could have set up a harmonic vibration that you would have got used to hearing that's gone now.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The head bolts I have have a flange built on and no washer???

My bad.. It appears that the new bolts have replaced the ones with the separate washers. That was still throwing me for a loop. I have the parts breakdown from international that I just got, and it still shows the bolts and washers, but I called to get some today and the part for the washers comes up the same as the bolts. Which all looks a bit strange. Those studs are starting to look like a smart idea after all. How the heck are you supposed to get accurate torque readings with just a flanged bolt? there's no smooth surface in between oiled up to equalize friction , just bolt against roughed up head cookoo . I asked the parts guy that and he just kind of snickered and said, "well, they didn't ask us". :rotflmao

Now, how much were a set of those studs, nuts and washers all together again? :hail

I finally got my engine apart last night and , what a surprise. The machinist in that shop was a freekin' artist. The internal work on the block and the heads is beautiful ( the thing ran fantastic ) it just looks like they hired Larry Moe and Curly to to the assembly. The only minor problem I found inside is a pinched allignment tube, but it looks like the head gasket took it up..

--------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad its peachy internally. I wonder if one could use the standard Caterpillar head bolts. I saw their specs while I was doing a school project, pretty impressed with the strength of those bolts. Not quite up to studs but pretty much better than 153,000 PSI.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Hmm, I've neer heard of a stock head bolt breaking, during normal use. Turbo'd or not???

Thery must be strong enough?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
New stock head bolts are 153,000 psi. They probably have some "stretch" built into them. They do take on quite a bit of abuse and hold up really well. I perfer the studs with 200,000 psi breaking strength. In this area more is better but only up to a point.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I need to add something about the BTS E4OD. That trans hooks up and hauls the freight..... Like I posted earlier, the trans temp reached around 170 or 175 and thats it. The Mag-hytec deep pan helps too. The temp pickup is in the pan. I needed to add 2 gallons extra trans fluid when I installed it for things to read full. This was from the factory specs. I really thought yea sure but 2 gallons did it. I can't say enough good things about Brians work. He really knows whats going on in the trans area. The bigger torque converter with 150square inches of clutch material really locks it up and keeps it that way. Now to install a Gear Venders and maybe the Hypermax intercooler I have sitting here gathering garage dust. Then just maybe if I'm really not too awfully busy I'll install an aluminum radiator... But surelly before all that I really want a Moose pump...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent