Im new to the site, and i have a few q's about my truck

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
fist off i have an 89 f-350 I.D.I and i want to put a turbo on it, i have a stock wastgated garett turbo off a 94 turbo truck, not power stroke, and i want to kno what all i need to make this work, i kno i need some exaust pieces but im not sure what all els i need, any input whould be much appreciated,

thanks
Chris scheid

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Chris, welcome!

If the turbo you have is truly off of a non-powerstroke 94, then you got a good one for your 89. This means that it should be the main piece of the ATS turbo system. Some-one here has the install instructions for that turbo, and should be along to point you to them. With these instructions you should be able to determine what you’re missing and see how hard / expensive its gonna be to fill the gaps.

What all did you get with the turbo? Do you have access to the donor truck to get more parts?

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
thanks guys, no i dont have anyother parts, the turbo was a take off of my dads truck, he put on a bigger turbo, so i got the stock one, i think i can ma e all the filter and intake stuff, its jus the exaust stuff im not sure about

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well you'll need the up pipe (cast piece) then you'll need the down pipe, you will also need an intake hat as it's called (piece that goes from the turbo to the intake) then you will need to hitch up an air filter to the turbo - this will be pretty easy to make. Just look for posts from agnem and check out his sig I believe that Mel has a link to his webshots account then look for a picture of his "Moose Air" as he affectionally calls it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site!
check out www.atsdiesel.com and look for the IDI section. They have a exploded diagram(in adobe pdf.) to identify all your missing pieces. I have pics of my ATS kit in various stages of assembly in "let's talk intercoolers" so if that helps, the visuals are there. Also, I'd like to hear more of what your dad did to upgrade his turbo. Even though I don't turn my turbo up to 12lbs, I'f like to see about putting in a larger unit so I can get more into the motor. I'm of the low pressure/hi vol camp cookoo

pafixitman

Reaction score
Chris,
I never located install instructions, but as Towcat said use the exploded parts diagram. A lot of the gaskets are no longer available so you may need to make those. I was missing the gasket on the pedestal and used hacked up a exhaust manifold gasket for a gasser.

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
towcat, my dads turbo upgrade was perty easy, he bought a bigger garatt turbo, im not sure wut one, but the stock turbo intake on the turbine is like 2inch, the new turbo is a 4 inch, and he put on the ats intercooler

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scheid6996 said:
towcat, my dads turbo upgrade was perty easy, he bought a bigger garatt turbo, im not sure wut one, but the stock turbo intake on the turbine is like 2inch, the new turbo is a 4 inch, and he put on the ats intercooler
puctures, pictures, pictures..... :D this thread is worless without pics :D