IM BACK!!!

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, It's been a sad few diesel-less months for me, BUT Im happy to announce my return! Im back in the IDI Basement, although not quite in the way most of you are thinkin, When the black beauty blew up on me here at College about 6 months ago I unloaded it for 2000 bucks.... I paid off some bills, bought a snowboard, a mountain pass, a few handles of Crown Royal ;Sweet , and an 83 solid axle chevy for 800 bucks with a rebuilt 305....

Yesterday I was tooling around on Govliquidation.com, and found a bunch of 6.2 diesels for sale in Fort Lewis, WA... a quick check on mapquest told me this was ONLY (hahah) 1200 miles or so from my home in So. Cal. SO for Sh*ts and giggles I threw down the minimum bid of $50 bux, and an hour later I was the Owner of a PAIR slighty used military 6.2 diesels!!! :thumbsup:

So my plan is to swap the better lookin/runnin of the two into my truck N/A then start the build-up of a turboed and propaned 6.2, Im having a little trouble finding a contact though, does Ken at DPS do any work on these old detroits? I know his pump work up my Ford for sure!!!

So any members in the WA/OR or Nor. Cal area that would serve as a pit stop on my drive would be greatly appreciated, I should be making the trek in about 20-30 days... I cant wait to feel that rumble once again!!! :hail

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
So any members in the WA/OR or Nor. Cal area that would serve as a pit stop on my drive would be greatly appreciated, I should be making the trek in about 20-30 days... I cant wait to feel that rumble once again!!! :hail
How far south in northern California are you going?

If you get anywhere near the San Francisco area, stop by and say hi :cool

Congrats on getting back into the diesel world...even if it is in a Chebby :puke:

:D :D :D

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
well I live in Ventura County but I will be taking the inland route ( interstate 5) for time's sake. I appreciate the offer though, Ive got a buddy at Chico State, so I might crash there, get up drive straight to WA get the motors, then straight back to Chico in one shot, then spend the night and drive home the next day, all this after I drive home from Fort Collins to Moorpark which is 15-16 hrs. by itslef, Good thing Ive got my CB!!! ;Sweet

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that will be a sweet combo. I bet Ken could do the same thing with those pumps as hecould with our, SINCE, they are basically the same IP. Probably could send him your injectors also to get them a little juiced up. You plan on putting a turbo on it? I would do STUDs right away. I am not sure howlong those 6.2's would hold with boost and Kens Fueling IP.. Awesomedal though. Should be a great mileage combo. Forsome reason, those 6.2's were always awesome on fuel. Scotty

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Man those 6.2's can't get outta their own way. I don't think there's anything that'll make um compare to a 6.9 or a 7.3.
I'd see if You could unload them for a profit and look into a Cummins conversion.

Black dawg

Reaction score
power output between stock 6.2s varys depending on egr or non egr. the egr models have low output inj pumps, and can be quite gutless. the non egr motor has a much better pump and runs much better. these motors respond to mods just like a 6.9 7.3 but for some reason get better mileage. Ive had as many of these as ive had fords, . In a good state of tune a na 6.2 will run with a na 6.9 but get better mileage. my 84 3/4 4x 6.2 burb has a banks kit with a little bigger compressor on it, it mkes 12-14 pounds boost easily and has outrun several early powerstrokes. it averages 22mpg with 4.11 gears and overdrive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A motor for $25 that runs is a pretty good deal. I bought a B&S 5HP for $35 last weekend. Can't say the truck would get out of its own way with that in it either. At least the GM will make highway speeds. LOL

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Had an '83 3/4 ton 2wd Sub with a 6.2. Would cruise the flatlands at 80+ all day long and get 17-18 mpg. Gutless wonder with the tall rear end it came with. It definately needed a turbo that it never got while I owned it.

The stock injection pump expired while still under warranty--plastic parts inside--dealer put another similar pump in that died just after the warranty expired. Replaced the pump with one with metal innards and added a Racor fuel filter and had no further high pressure pump problems.

Your pick-up is light enough to work pretty well with a 6.2, particularly if it is turboed.

Good luck. With fuel prices where they are, those are going to be $500 motors before you are done! Drive safely.

snatchal

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal on the 6.2s
Never heard of that site before, went there and typed "diesel" into the search engine. WOW lots a goodies. Some nice looking Benz diesels but they are in Alaska. So did the gubernment ever purchase international powered equipment? Man could you imagine if we could find dozens of 7.3s sitting in shipping containers for 50 bucks apiece! I'd stick 10 of em in my back shed just to look at em.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a slightly higher opinion of the 6.2 than some of these other folks do just a couple of things to remember. The 6.2 doesn't have piston cooling jets like the 6.9/7.3 and PSD and teh 6.5 TD. So if you get the EGTs over 1250 even for a minute you will probably melt it, not that I would advocate running any diesel that hot. Get a pyrometer and watch it, get a boost gauge and watch it. I wonder if youc an get some of teh the slow glow GM 5.7 glow plugs for the beast. These things had a lot of glow plug issues like our 6.9s did. There is a block bracing kit that will prevent a potential cracked block. If you are going to turbo, you might want to get the studs as has already been suggested. I have also heard that there is a way to add a timing gear and do away with the timing chain. There are some upgrades for this motor. Good luck with it. I bet it will be a fuel sipper in a K10.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Look at all the great respones!

As far as the cummins swap goes...I dont own a trailer and the ONLY towing I plan on doing is rescuing all my buddies that drive jeeps and toyotas from mud pits/ Snow banks and such... So for the extra cost and time of conversion, I dont see that option being worth it, If I wanted a powerhouse Id build a 500 HP 350 or 454... :Sly

I want a RELIABLE , Biodiesel burning, off road capable rig and I think this will do it, I really appreciate everyone's 2 cents, and Glad to be talking to all of you again!

BTW I assume that becasue these are GOV. motors they are EGR free, doesnt seem like they would be concerned with emissions, If not, do you know what years didnt have an EGR? Thanks Guys!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,Being these are Military they are Non-EGR engines.Hope you know that the truck are a hodge dodge of 12Volt and 24 Volt systems.not exactly sure what is what but the truck are dual voltage.The Good thing is though,Dana 60s with detroit lockers and some really low gears outta the box.Too bad they usually have a NP208 transfer case.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
Yesterday I was tooling around on Govliquidation.com, and found a bunch of 6.2 diesels for sale in Fort Lewis, WA... a quick check on mapquest told me this was ONLY (hahah) 1200 miles or so from my home in So. Cal. SO for Sh*ts and giggles I threw down the minimum bid of $50 bux, and an hour later I was the Owner of a PAIR slighty used military 6.2 diesels!!! :thumbsup:

!!! :hail

Excellent website! I checked it out and there's a deuce and a half for sale in Albuquereque. A very good friend of mine is the site manager there. Hmmm. Did see three IH buses with 6.9's in Altus, OK. One could lose a lot of money quick on that site. ;Sweet

Tom

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,but the major issues arrise in that there are NO TITLES!GL has pretty much stopped supplying buyers with the Standard Form 97(SF 97 on their site) which is the bill of sale from the government allowing you to get a title.They will be in big trouble in a few states if the AG finds out since it is illegal to sell a vehicle without a Title or Bill of sale in some states(Think Pennsy is one!).There are a ton of good deuce and a halves up for auction now that were driven in but the refuse to give a SF97 which pretty much make them parts only trucks.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, look in the old 4 wheeler mag archives, they did a great build up of a Blazer with a 6.2 in it. the whole deal, Banks everything, pump and injector work, lift and tires, lots of stuff. they were absolutely happy with the rig and it turned out to be a great trail and commuter rig. i wanted to build one after I saw it. Remember our older Hummers have 6.2's in them with TH400 trannys and they are bulletproof. I drove one from Kuwait to Baghdad and back in some of the worst sandstorms imaginable and the trucks were great. They are fairly reliable trucks. Nto powerhouses, but plenty of power to move the big hummers, so I know they can handle pick up weights with the correct gearing. I for one, say do a little preventaive maint on the engine, install good parts, through a good turbo on it, and run it. It will get good fuel mileage. My family has had a few of them and with the taller gearing, they were a little underpowered, but almost always got 20-25 MPG's.. Not sure why, but they were great runners. Scotty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin