I'm about to install the newly released Sidewinder Kit!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a general rule of thumb; more boost like this at regular cruising speeds = increase in fuel economy right? or worse because in order to get this boost,more fuel is required at your normal cruising speed,and or is it a trade off with which winning "overall"?

There is such a thing as too much boost, but most of us haven't found it yet. My only real experience with "too much" was with that little 2.3 liter mitsubishi turbo diesel in the ranger. When I tampered with the turbo, all it did was roast tires and kept popping the factory blow off valve:dunno

(wish my truck could be booted so easy!)

Officially the general rule is you only want to stuff just barely enough air into the engine to burn all the fuel. Anything more and (in theory) you start loosing power and efficiency, and possibly running up EGTs.

Although other trains of though are that by constantly blasting extra air through the engine, you add an extra element of direct cooling in the chamber. Dave Sponaugle seems to have done it with his engine, and I think Flatlander's compound turbo setup seemed to have an uncanny ability to boost beyond what most of us dream about while keeping only moderate EGTs.

That little ranger didn't have a pyro, so I didn't want to push my luck and dialed it back down.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys while installing the kit I broke the leading most driver side injector cap! Where can I get a replacement quick and does anyone have a part #? It's the frontmost that makes the 90* angle to the side of the pump. Also, I never had one of the older kits and I'm trying to figure out what is changed to designate this as a "quick". It's not a Holset so there's a gut punch to all those excited. Sorry I got you all jacked up. :( I was as bummed as all of you. I almost want to call and ask ***. My packing slip even says "Quick-Turbo Sidewinder". ?!?!!?!?!?

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Any help on the injector top? Also, I haven't given up that there HAS been revisions.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sucks.but would have been pretty silly i guess when ya stop and think about it,because half the idi trucks being sold/bought today are for the price of the current turbos alone,so it wouldn't have been a wise investment choice for banks i guess.:D

well anyway though,
what do you get from summit for under 2 grand? everything required? it still sounds good.or is that whole listing just a total fluke,and they'll just tell ya,they don't have it lol.:D

Last edited:

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the turbo unit is under 2k. The full kit with gauges and exhaust is still 2500-2600. I got it at jobber price so I bought it. I thought it was the new "Quick" kit.

Does anyone know the part number for the injector top?

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The return lines are all new. I replaced those a few miles back. I simply need 1 injector cap. Hopefully, I can go find one in the morning so I can finish this install tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert