I'm about to install the newly released Sidewinder Kit!

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to install the newly re-released Sidewinder kit from Banks which has the new Holset based Quick-turbo* assembly. Does anybody on this board have one of these kits yet? I'm wondering what's different from the older Sidewinder kits? Also, I have the ZF-5 tranny with 4.10 rear gears. I currently run 2000rpm @ 55mph and 2400rpm @ 65. Will I always be in boost at highway speed and will it be safe to tow my race trailer at a constant 2500rpm?

Thanks!

Dustin

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cant say for the new kit but for my stock ATS setup i am usually boosting 2-3psi on flats at around 1800-2000 rpm highway speed.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could live with 2-4 psi cruising, but I don't want 6-10. If that's going to be the case I'll re-gear.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't even know banks did this?

x 2! More information please.

A new turbo kit for these IDI's is a least a sign the aftermarket hasn't completely left us hanging. If they are using a Holset charger, then parts/rebuilds should be easier to find/do than their current turbo.

Heath

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the kit through my race sponser who is a dealer for most performance parts companies. I expressed interest in turboing my tow rig. The old sidewinder kit was out of production when I first tried to order it. My sponser called and we spoke with Banks about the matter and an interest in a kit. A few follow up calls an bouncing a few ideas around and viola new Sidewinder. The kit just arrived yesterday. I'll try to take pics when I get home.The turbo is FOR SURE a Holset unit.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight from an email:

Banks developed the Quick-Turbo assemblies in conjunction with the Holset turbocharger and Cummins Engine companies to eliminate sluggishness "out of the hole" and produce strong acceleration. The Quick-Turbos produce massive torque right from idle, achieve a higher peak faster, maintain more boost through the powerband, and don't over-boost. Add a Banks' exclusive BigHead wastegate actuator to prevent "wastegate blow-open" by keeping the valve seated at higher pressures, increasing midrange torque and top-end power.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a picture of what this kit used to use for a turbo? (Most recent please)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Banks (I guess up to this point) used a Mitsubishi turbo, TE06 or something along those lines. I have not heard anything about the holset setup, but thats very interesting.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I could live with 2-4 psi cruising, but I don't want 6-10. If that's going to be the case I'll re-gear.

WTH You talking about?

You WANT 6+ Lbs of boost @ 2500 RPM's. Why even install a turbo if You don't???

I wish I could get 6+ Lbs @ 1500 RPM's!

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be in boost cruising. I only want the boost loaded. I was wondering what the cruising boost load would be due to simply RPM. The boost when my foot is in it will most likely be 10-11psi. WTH are you talking about? Most likely we are mis-understanding each other.