IH Scout 80 Build w/ 7.3L IDI Drivetrain

jlpdemag

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but I'm sure I will be here more and more with my current build in full swing. Here's the basics:

1963 International Scout 80 Body
1975 International Scout II Frame and Axles (Dana 44 front and rear)
1988 International/Navistar 7.3L IDI from Ford F-250
T-19 Ford Transmission from above donor truck
NP 203 Gearcase married to Chevy NP205 Transfercase for Passenger drop
Hummer H1 Military Rims recentered with IH OEM centers
37" Goodyear MT's
Reverse Front Shackle mod
SOA
Possible body lift if I have engine clearance issues.

Here is the link to the build so far on the Binder Bulletin:
1963 International Scout 80 Repower

Afew pics of the engine before and after, not done but better:
You must be registered for see images attach

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is a good looking IDI You got there. What are building this for? Hauling, pulling, playing, DD?

The only thing I would change is the tranny, a zf-5 would fit nicely behind the engine and give You one more gear.

Did You do any work on the engine or just pain it?

One thing You want to know is if the coolant additive (dca) was used on the engine and for how long, You may want to do the oil cooler rings while You have it out as well.

jlpdemag

Reaction score
Exekiel69,

I don't know the history on the motor, nor does the PO I bought it from. He bought it as a parts truck for the body. The motor was still in the truck but the trans was out of it. There was a T-19 and a solid flywheel in the bed of the truck along with the tcase. I would like a ZF too but I was nowhere to be found and the JY wants close to a grand for them around here, then add a rebuild if needed. That's more than I have in the whole motor/tranny right now. I have heard the motor start and run. Starts good and does not smoke. After cleaning all the crud off the motor I found that it has been rebuilt at some point. Odometer in the truck says 27K, probably is 227K. The heads and block each had the buttons in the freeze plugs that engine rebuilders use to see if you overheated a motor. So at some point it's been rebuilt.
I have not done anything to the motor other than clean it and paint it. I know jack crap about them but am reading a ton. I will be replacing the glow plugs at the very least before I install it. I'm thinking I may replace the injectors now just to be safe, not sure on that one yet. As for the other parts you mentioned I don't even know what they are. I am looking for a source for motor mounts that I can weld in for this motor. Most likely will have to fab my own, that's fine, I just didn't want to.
As for the how and why. It's a toy. Mostly a mall crawler, grocery getter, street queen, whatever you want to call her. I like the "baby" scout body and wanted a toy I could run around in with no doors and top and not care if it rains. I want a truck that can be impractical as hell and just for fun so that's what she will be.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
NP 203 Gearcase married to Chevy NP205 Transfercase for Passenger drop

Wow! Are you going to have the wheelbase to support that long of a doubler setup, and/or that short/angled of rear driveline?

jlpdemag

Reaction score
It's not that long actually. NP203 GRB (5.75"), 203-205 adapter (3") and NP 205 (12.5" from front surface to the center of the rear output yoke)With the 100" wheelbase things should be ok. I'm not far enough along to kow what my angles are yet but axle cut and turns are in the plans.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Its going to be tricky keeping that 7.3 cool under full load but if its just moves a empty scout around it shouldn't break a sweat

looking forward to seeing more of this build

Last edited: