Ignorant diesel newbie needs coolant help

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Um, "at this point", it's just as vulnerable to cavitation as the day it rolled off the line. It's not going to be magically immune. Sufficient anti-cavitation in the coolant has a little more importance than a paint mismatch.

FleetGuard is a general brand, and they MIGHT make an anti-freeze, but if they do, it's not specific to diesels and wouldn't have SCA. You need something like FleetCHARGE or FinalCharge from Peak, for anti-freeze pre-charged with SCA.

stallionmedic

Reaction score
^^^^^ Um, "at this point", it's just as vulnerable to cavitation as the day it rolled off the line. It's not going to be magically immune. Sufficient anti-cavitation in the coolant has a little more importance than a paint mismatch.

FleetGuard is a general brand, and they MIGHT make an anti-freeze, but if they do, it's not specific to diesels and wouldn't have SCA. You need something like FleetCHARGE or FinalCharge from Peak, for anti-freeze pre-charged with SCA.
I mistyped...i bought fleetcharge with the SCA in it.....flushing her today

Sent from my LGUS110 using Tapatalk

Skii

Reaction score
Im a diesel tech at a Goodyear Commercial center, and in big rigs (and my truck as well) we always try to run rotella ELC. Its red, a hybrid oat. YOU CANNOT, REPEAT, CANNOT. identify a coolant by the color or taste or smell. The only way to be 100% sure is to draining and refill, or if they placed a sticker in the bay somewhere. Now, to prevent cavitation, best bet is to use an OAT coolant or HOAT. They provide best boil over protection. Cavitation takes place when cooling system pressure is off, slash air pockets get stuck in the cylinder liners so pressure test the cooling system and make sure you have the appropriate (and functional) radiator cap, and all the air removed from the system.

Last edited:

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I freaked out too about the cavitation... best I could come up with was the Chevron DELO ELC.

Apparently, this stuff is the industrial stuff the truck fleets use.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=76884&docFormat=PDF

This was the best I came up with. Its kinda hard to get, so you have to ask around at truck stops. I got mine at a NAPA parts store, but its NOT a stock item... rather the manager there knew someone at Southern California Oil Company ( industrial products marketer ) and got me some "on the side". About $120 for a case of six full-strength ( you mix 50-50 with DISTILLED water in your radiator. I think its right at four gallons you will need. You get six gallons in a case. Supposedly good for four years... 750,000 miles ... and its supposed to have all the SCA's you need - specifically for diesel engines. ).

From what I can tell, the Shell Rotella ELC (red) is similar, and so is the NAPA ELC (also red ).

If anyone has more info, I am all ears!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7