coolant change question for my 1984 F250 with 6.9 IDI

ThirstyF250

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum and I think it’s going to come in very handy being on here.

Just bought a 1984 F250 with the 6.9 IDI and I need to change out the old coolant, so I picked up regular green and need to put an SCA in it from what I’ve researched. Has anyone tried this Hyper-diesel super coolant SCA? Says one bottle will treat up to 25 litres of the mixed coolant in the system and provides 100% protection from cavitation. My plan is to change out the coolant every two years with using the green stuff that meets the Ford Spec that is specified in my 1984 F series manual for my truck. Just want to see if Anyone has tried this particular SCA? It’s readily available locally for me. Also don’t drive the truck more than 3000 kms yearly. It’s more of a joy ride, second vehicle for me if that makes a difference. Trying to avoid the test strips too.

I’d go for the Organic Acid coolants, but don’t want to chance the new style coolant causing leaks and what not on the old girl that currently doesn’t leak any coolant.

thanks for any help

pics of the additive provided...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably works just fine, but more importantly you have thicker cylinder walls with the 6.9 block vs the 7.3 and if you seldom drive it then the chances for cavitation are greatly reduced. Personally I just use FleetCharge, the red/pink stuff, and call it good for a couple years--no problems and holds the SCA charge as indicated by test strips.

When you change the coolant don't forget the block drains--one on each side. Some people say to remove the starter for better access but that never seemed necessary to me.

Jim993

Reaction score
That additive is what is commonly called a water wetter, plus it may have some PH raising capability. Probably can't hurt.

Get some coolant test strips to determine the condition of coolant, especially in diesel engines. One example: https://www.acustrip.com/cgi-bin/prodcat.cgi?pc=Coolant

These diesels fail in a number of ways, one which can be avoided is ignorantly letting the coolant become acidic. Acidic coolant eats oil coolers, head gaskets and cylinder walls.

Because of high combustion pressures, diesels are more likely to allow a few molecules of combustion gasses past the head gaskets from time to time. Combustion gasses are primarily carbon dioxide-- carbon dioxide in water makes carbonic acid.

I check my '85 F250 diesel coolant every year and run a coolant filter which also provides PH raise.