ignition solenoid 12v trigger wire

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Ive tried searching and cant come up what im looking for. My 94 f350 idi stock turbo truck...should be in my signature too...started not starting. After checking things out, im not getting 1v2 to the fender mounted relay. The Relay works...its just the 12v trigger wire doesnt/isnt getting 12v when the key is turned to start. For now, I have installed some new wires to a push button in the cab...but would prefer to wire it correctly. The wire in question looks to be red with a blue strip. I can follow it accross the radiator to the driver side...but im not sure where it goes from there. I dont see the same wire in the ignition switch under the steering column either. By the way, I have replaced the ignition switch and the key lock cylinder as well. I was having an issue with the key cylinder. I could start the truck and pull out the key and from the on position. Or the key would get all sideways in the ignition. lol. Does any one know where that red/blue wire goes? Shouldnt it go to the ignition switch? or is there another place I can get the 12v trigger power from that would work when turning the key?

Thanks, and hopefully I didnt miss this in my search.

Dave

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely the ign switching mechqnism in column...or could be neutral safety switch for trans...

Can does the unit start if you wiggle shifter between park and Neutral????

Put stock wire on solenoid....turn key and move shifter slowly through to N amd D see if tries to start.

That would eleimate ign switch and point to Neatral switch

JM7.3CW

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with what riot said, it sounds like a natural safety switch.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had a chance to try it this weekend. Maybe later this afternoon. It is an auto

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good lord, i went out to try the advise from above. Put the original trigger wire back on...walked to to truck and it started right up...geesh....so probably is something like the neutral switch.. How should I confirm that? Thanks all.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try it with the shifter in various positions as riotwarrier describes. That would confirm proper NSS ops.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I moved the shifter around and it still works as it should....