If you put your parents in your IDI and sent them across the country?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
My parents are planning a trip next summer from Utah to Vancouver stopping at a few parks along the way ;Sweet They plan to spend 2-3 weeks and they are in their late 50's. At first they wanted to borrow my Alaskan camper (1100 lb. slide in camper) but we later found it won't fit in their Newer 1/2ton GMC. I thought hell why not take the whole package--its more comfortable and they won't have to drive a GM LOL j/k. Right now they say they don't feel right about taking the truck but I want to talk them into it--and also make sure it won't give them any headaches along the way.

Just for fun lets say you put your parents, wife, kids or loved ones in your IDI and let them drive it over several state lines what precautions would you take, what changes would you make and what would you recommend servicing before they left? Spare parts? My old man has worked on lots of cars back in his younger days (when cars were easy to work on) and he services diesel powered equipment at his job so he knows how they work a bit, but isn't too familiar with the IDI at all. Right now I would drive coast to coast in my IDI without a second thought but I know how to work on it and know the ins and outs for the most part. Mostly I'm worried about what would happen if the fuel system air locked or something along those lines :puke:

Anyways what do you think? Thanks,

Andrew

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were to stick both of my parents in my truck alone for a trip like that, the first thing I would need to do is install a soundproof (and ideally bulletproof) wall between the driver's side and the passenger's side :shocked: and the second thing I would need to do is find a way to convince my mom to drive the truck LOL

Sorry, couldn't help it :angel: the mental image of my parents (who've been divorced for over 20 years and still aren't on speaking terms with each other) spending that much time cramped in a pickup truck cab together had me on the floor laughing...

Seriously, you might want to spend some quality time explaining the quirks of the glow plug system to your dad...make sure he knows to only use Motorcraft glow plugs if needed, make sure he knows how to test them, and make sure he knows how to bypass the GP system should the controller decide to die while they're on the road. Also, if you're running ELC, a couple extra gallons of the stuff and an explanation of why it's not a good idea to pour water or other types of coolant into the radiator would be beneficial (OTOH, if he's a diesel mechanic, he probably knows that much already). As to spare parts...maybe a few extra GP's, an extra or two of each filter, belts, etc. Also, how's the fuel system? If the IP and injectors are of questionable age and/or quality, and if you can afford it, replacing them might be reasonable PM...I don't want to think of what shape they'd be in if the IP decides to take a dump out in the middle of nowhere!

Hope that helps some...good luck to them!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If he's used to working on diesels , there's nothing on these critters that will throw a curve ball at him. Chances are if something were to breakdown on the way it would be a lot cheaper and easier to fix than a newer GM. Anything can breakdown on a long trip, even a brand new truck. So long as yours is mechanically sound, there's no reason at all not to take it. I just got back from dragging my 5er all over teh western half of the country for over 2 1/2 months. I wouldn't have wanted to have been driving anything else ;Sweet

If it's all ready to go , aside from what's been mentioned. a spare set of belts and at least 2 spare fuel filters and a couple of jugs of Howes so there's no fuel worries.
A Good Sam membership and their emergency roadside service is a very good thing to have when traveling like that. It has extended towing range which could come in real handy if something did go south ( and if one of them or both has any health issues, they have anotehr insurance that if the get sick out on teh road, it'sll transport them home and if say your mother is not able to drive teh thing, will pay for the thing to be transported or driven back home.)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to get a prescription for ****** and then I can handle my mom and dad on a cross country trip. Neither one should drive, so I'm the chauffeur. If my dad still could drive, I'd throw the keys to my '92 to him in a hot second.

tnmtn

Reaction score
my F-350 has the smaller rear view mirrors, i would definitly go with larger ones to help with backing up. maybe a sticker somewhere to remind them it is a little wider than the small car they are used to.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I wouldn't hesitate. Dad and I were shoulder to shoulder during most of the F250 build. He knows the truck as well as I do. Plus, he's a master mechanic and could fix the truck (if needed) better than I could. But, that won't be the case with everyone Dad of course.

What I'd do is this:
-Make sure the glow plug system is in good working order.
-If you have a push button only glow plug system, school him on exactly what to do to start the truck.
-Make sure the oil, coolant, and all the filters are good shape/new.
-Make sure there are not air/fuel leaks before they leave, but school him/her on the "what if's" and "how to's" of a air/fuel leak issue when they are on the road.
-Have him drive with one eye on the gauges, especially the pyrometer. Make sure he knows what's normal and what is not.
-Make sure they know not to run the tanks empty.
-Make sure they brakes are in good shape and the parking brake is working.
-Let him drive it for a while as his daily driver to get a feel for the truck's personality and quirks and just to get familar with it.
-Make sure he checks the oil, coolant, and the ususal stuff each morning before heading out on the road for several hundred miles.
-Make sure his "just in case" tool kit has the proper tools for general repairs on the IDI.
-Make sure he knows where the jack, tire iron and all that stuff are located in case of a flat.

Heath

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
seeing as how my truck used to be my dads I would just turn the fuel down and throw him the keys. But I would definately turn the fuel down first as my dad thinks that that pyro is an idiotic gauge to have because in his eyes the coolant will overheat way before a piston melts. he also loves low rpms way to much to keep egts down.

I think heath has the best idea about letting them drive it for a few weeks as their dd to get used to it. other than that just ensure fluids, gps, tires, and fuel system is in working order and I would think they are good to go. even if something does happen and he gets stumped idi's are so simple that im sure you could walk him through it over the phone. If you have the pump cranked up I would definately tune it down to ensure no egt problems.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they're coming up here to Vancouver BC....a Tim's card is in order for certain!

As for the truck...a Navigation system? And yes all the afformentioned things fuel system parts glow plugs return line kit. filters belts hoses, fire ext, and certainly a FIRST AID kit....do they have a Cell phone? if not a pre-paid one for the trip.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
There are no crystal balls so toss 'em the keys and they got yer phone number so don't worry. If the truck will last to drive to the next oil change without a problem then they shouldn't have a problem out there. It's the same miles and less time so why worry.... You can over think the adventure into something that's no longer an adventure... Tell 'em enjoy and write when they find work...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
if I gave my truck to my parents for a cross country trip, they'd sell it after 500 miles for something quieter and more comfortable..... and I wouldn't blame them :)