IDIs are missed

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I had to go to town this afternoon to deliver pumpkins and had to stop to put some diesel in the van. Behind me, waiting his turn, was a guy in a new Powerstroke. He came close to the van while I was filling up and said: "It's a 6.9 right? I said yes and he added: "I had one, I put 600K miles on it. They don't make it like these anymore". And he pointed towards the van. I pointed to his truck and said: "Mine can pull the same load you pull with yours, it's a one ton van with a 6.9 and a C6". He smiled and said: "I know, they are good".

He was smiling when he approached me first, maybe surprised to see an old IDI running and in good shape, maybe remembering his old truck, but he looked sad at the end of the short conversation. Payments too high?

We have trucks with engines that have left a good service record. We have trucks with no nonsense stuff or cosmetic ornaments. Trucks that do their work and help you put food on the table, trucks that after so many years and miles still perform and do what they were designed to do: Build and keep America strong!

Keep your trucks. There is a lot more than just a good engine and an able body when you are riding them. There's also a message about common sense and a praise to the mindset that made this country the best country in the whole world.

Take good care of your trucks, they will return in service and satisfaction what you spend in time and attention. The time is coming when their value will increase, many will want to have them again, instead of the new one they cannot keep up with the payments. Do not envy the guys with new ones, they will have plenty of headaches to keep and maintain them when everything come crashing down. Ours can burn almost anything you put in them, but the best part is: They are ours, to the last bolt or part. They are paid off! And now all they do is to deliver!

Like a good old tool that helped you made money; like a trusted gun that helped you bring food to your home or gives you peace of mind while you sleep at night just few inches away from it, or just under your truck's seat while driving through busy cities full with crazy idiots that think they own the road; our trucks are part of our lives.

I thank God for many things, my trucks also.

Burt. A Florida *******.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
WHen I first got My 93, I was walking to My truck in the walmart parking lot. There was a Guy standing there next to My truck. I was a little worried at first. He had waited 10 mins for Me to come out. Offered Me $8K for My truck. We chatted for a few mins. He said He had one, and wish He'd never sold it. Then pointed to His newer PSD.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See... This is why we drive our paid for rigs and love every bit of it. She may not be the prettiest girl at the ball but she will get er dun.....

Last edited:

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I contemplated putting a for sale sign on the 6.9 truck when I bought my PSD. I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's simple, does everything I ask of it, and hasn't let me down since I bought it. It's got 360,*** miles on the clock now, and shows no signs of stopping. I think it's actually (finally) going to get the restoration it deserves now that I have a 2nd truck to use.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
To be honest, I have always held the bricknose 86 Ford front end up as the sexiest looking truck in my book. Im not knocking newer body styles but, The 86 group style is my fav. Years and years went by after first attaining my Drivers license, went off to the Army came home..........trucks came and went and eventually migrated into diesels. Though I now have an IDI as the only diesel in the stable I was a Diehard Dodge guy, I still am found of the Cummins. BUT to be able to get into a Turbo diesel 4x4 truck for $1800 bucks!!!!!! That's true love...........well,......another $2600 later and it was a turbo diesel and on top of that, I have the body style I have always wanted!!!!!!

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
i feel the same way ive alway wanted a cummins turbo diesel for some reason but i stayed in the old 70's ford gassers and alway loved my grandfather 86 f150 truck always caught my eye i got the truck from my grandfather and the thing pissed me off so much i scraped it one too many issues then i picked my diesel up for 500 hauled it home well bout 4grand later trucks runin awsome just bout where i want it just missin my turbo yet new bed then body work and paint and come to think of i want a newer cummins well alls i gota say is the Idi's are the best dam diesels ever made the rest

Last edited by a moderator:

DragRag

Reaction score
To be honest, I have always held the bricknose 86 Ford front end up as the sexiest looking truck in my book. Im not knocking newer body styles but, The 86 group style is my fav. Years and years went by after first attaining my Drivers license, went off to the Army came home..........trucks came and went and eventually migrated into diesels. Though I now have an IDI as the only diesel in the stable I was a Diehard Dodge guy, I still am found of the Cummins. BUT to be able to get into a Turbo diesel 4x4 truck for $1800 bucks!!!!!! That's true love...........well,......another $2600 later and it was a turbo diesel and on top of that, I have the body style I have always wanted!!!!!!

I like the 86' to.......my fav of all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
I was always the guy that loved chevy's. My father was not a car guy. I from birth always loved them. My neighbors that collected and restored them were nice enough to teach me and help out with things early on. Later I make a good career in the automotive collision field in San Diego. So much, I was considered one of the best in the county. Years went on and one day a old 87 ford f150 came in for a complete resto. I thought to myself "what geat lines. Simple and somehow beautiful. It did not sink in until years later when I found my first IDI Dually. Bought it on the spot and lowered her 6". I was hooked after that. When I see that boxy body style going down the street I my heart skips a beat. I have 3 now. :)

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always the guy that loved chevy's. My father was not a car guy. I from birth always loved them. My neighbors that collected and restored them were nice enough to teach me and help out with things early on. Later I make a good career in the automotive collision field in San Diego. So much, I was considered one of the best in the county. Years went on and one day a old 87 ford f150 came in for a complete resto. I thought to myself "what geat lines. Simple and somehow beautiful. It did not sink in until years later when I found my first IDI Dually. Bought it on the spot and lowered her 6". I was hooked after that. When I see that boxy body style going down the street I my heart skips a beat. I have 3 now. :)

Pix of the lowered dually :love:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to go to town this afternoon to deliver pumpkins and had to stop to put some diesel in the van. Behind me, waiting his turn, was a guy in a new Powerstroke. He came close to the van while I was filling up and said: "It's a 6.9 right? I said yes and he added: "I had one, I put 600K miles on it. They don't make it like these anymore". And he pointed towards the van. I pointed to his truck and said: "Mine can pull the same load you pull with yours, it's a one ton van with a 6.9 and a C6". He smiled and said: "I know, they are good".

He was smiling when he approached me first, maybe surprised to see an old IDI running and in good shape, maybe remembering his old truck, but he looked sad at the end of the short conversation. Payments too high?

We have trucks with engines that have left a good service record. We have trucks with no nonsense stuff or cosmetic ornaments. Trucks that do their work and help you put food on the table, trucks that after so many years and miles still perform and do what they were designed to do: Build and keep America strong!

Keep your trucks. There is a lot more than just a good engine and an able body when you are riding them. There's also a message about common sense and a praise to the mindset that made this country the best country in the whole world.

Take good care of your trucks, they will return in service and satisfaction what you spend in time and attention. The time is coming when their value will increase, many will want to have them again, instead of the new one they cannot keep up with the payments. Do not envy the guys with new ones, they will have plenty of headaches to keep and maintain them when everything come crashing down. Ours can burn almost anything you put in them, but the best part is: They are ours, to the last bolt or part. They are paid off! And now all they do is to deliver!

Like a good old tool that helped you made money; like a trusted gun that helped you bring food to your home or gives you peace of mind while you sleep at night just few inches away from it, or just under your truck's seat while driving through busy cities full with crazy idiots that think they own the road; our trucks are part of our lives.

I thank God for many things, my trucks also.

Burt. A Florida *******.

Along the same line of thinking is this true story that I posted over at the Dodge/Cummins site; it is worth a read :

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/1st-gen-success-story-t273671.html

Although the story is about a Dodge truck, the moral applies to all makes.

Most of what I had in mind to reply here has already been said in that thread and fits here as well.

I will say that I see trucks of all makes and ages in our shop every day.

The best cared for, most likely to be washed/waxed, are almost always the long ago paid for older trucks.

The guys that still have five years to go paying on a two-year-old truck have already lost heart and the dirt will always be an inch deep on the newer ones. LOL

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a special place in my heart for that body style too- although I'm not sure of the exact year, my grandpa had an F150 regular cab in that body style when I was little, in pristine condition. I was only 8 when he passed away and I guess the truck got sold shortly after that, but it's a big part of a lot of the memories I have of him.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to go to town this afternoon to deliver pumpkins

Although admittedly there are several of the rest of us that could be suspected of having ridden in on a load of pumpkins, you are quite possibly the only one of us to have actually hauled a load of pumpkins in an IDI. ;Sweet

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd almost bet that there's more IDI's out there making their living TO THIS DAY than there are all PSD's combined. They're simple, reliable, and just won't die without a hell of a fight!