IDI to PSD swap

firegod33

Reaction score
I have an '86 CC, F350 4x4 that I bought a couple of years ago. It has the 6.9 IDI diesel, 4 spd combo. The IDI is a great engine, but takes a while to get up to speed. With 311k on the clock, it's just beginning to puff a little blue smoke. Nothing that's going to keep the mosquitoes away, but it's letting me know that an overhaul is in its near future.
Tonight, I took possesion of a wrecked '95 PSD, 5 spd F250 4x4. The plan is to pull the 7.3 PSD, 5 spd, t-case, dash, wiring harness, front seats, door panels, and a few other odds and ends and swap them all into the old crew cab. The PSD needs a new fuel pump, but is otherwise fine.
I haven't turned any wrenches yet, but will be getting started soon. Are there any upgrades regarding the fuel pump since it has to be replaced anyway, or is a stocker just fine? I won't be going wild with engine mods, but a few power upgrades are in its future.
I'll keep this thread updated, including pics. If this isn't the appropriate forum for this tale, please move it accordingly.

The heart recipient: 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long bed.
You must be registered for see images attach

The old 6.9 IDI still runs well, but I want more power.

The organ donor: 1995 rolled F250

The 7.3 PSD to be transplanted

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the project. Many have asked about doing such a swap, but few have actually done it. We'll be interested to hear how much trouble the electricals give you. :popcorn

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I asked about that long ago & was told to swap the older body panels to the newer truck. It would be easier than the wiring headaches.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a big can do, its also a big project. You are on the right path with the donor vehicle being complete. Everything you need is right there in front of you. Good luck and keep us informed on the progress and come here if you need some technical assistance.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I asked about that long ago & was told to swap the older body panels to the newer truck. It would be easier than the wiring headaches.

The wiring is easy in the OBS trucks. It's all plug n play:Thumbs Up . Most important part is to remove the wiring carefully. If you start breaking the connectors it will become a big headache.:D

firegod33

Reaction score
I'm going to start turning wrenches today. I'm planning on completely removing the front clips on both trucks to make access easier and make it so I don't have to lift an 1100 pound engine 6' in the air.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does OBS mean? I realize it refers to the '94-'97's, but don't know what it stands for.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
OBS "Old Body Style", mostly used in the PSD Forums do differ the OBS trucks to the 99 and up Super Duty's.

Like others said you are on the right track having the complete doner truck. As far as performance uprades for the PSD: Replace the stock down pipe and go with a 4" exhaust system all the way back, Get a good aftermarket intake. Then do some reaserch on a chip for the PSD. Once you have these 3 items you will be amazed at the power it will give the ole 86.

Good luck and keep us posted!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your swap, sounds like it will be a ton of fun.

Take that ole 6.9 and stick it in what looks to be a Jeep Commander or what ever it is in the pic behind the PS.

What is it thats in the pic BYW?

firegod33

Reaction score
I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked. Rain clouds started moving in and both trucks are too tall to fit in my garage. Besides, two project Jeeps are in there. My daughter and I did get all of the front sheetmetal, radiator, grille support, radiator support, right battery tray, and right inner wheelwell removed from the '95. All wiring was carefully detached from the front structure and moved aside. The original wiring harness will be vital for the success of the project.
I now have a bunch of parts that I won't be using to sell to help fund the resurection of Old Blue.

firegod33

Reaction score
That's a pair of Jeepster Commandos behind the F250. One is a long term project of my daughter's. It's a 1970. The other one (greenish) belongs to a friend of mine and is a 1969. Also a project. (Obviously)

Edit: Oops. Didn't realize you could only see one of them.

Last edited:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I'll be curious to watch this one unfold as well.;Sweet Where in Colorado are you located?

Tom

And what are you going to do with the old 6.9?

firegod33

Reaction score
I'm out on the western slope, between Parachute and Grand Junction. That's my front yard in the pics. I have to look at that every day. Don't you feel bad for me? -Playme ;)
Now that I've started, the feeling of trepidation is being replaced with excitement. I can't wait to get it done and take it down the road! ;burnout

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm following closely too as I have a 97 PSD under the workbench in my garage. I gutted a 97 E350 and a 96 F350 so I have all the wiring and etc as well right down to the fuel pedal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the 6.9 in the Commando....6.9 in the Commando.....-Drool -Drool :popcorn :popcorn

I'll be watching this one closely.

BTW could you be so kind as to give me the PS Rad dimensions please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online