Anyone swap back to throttle cable?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Dumb question here. But is there a way or a kit to swap back to a throttle cable? The damn sensors are always problematic and prefer a cable and the few issues that a cable comes with. 97 cclb srw

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What mechanical thing on the engine will you actuate with the cable? The sensors are not optional.

If failure is the fear, I suggest packing a spare pedal, or the potentiometer within. Maybe a spare cps and icp also.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a guy that wanted to build a street performance car and he exclaimed..." I got a credit card and a Summit catalog...!!!"

Well, what reminded me of that was where I saw in a Mustang magazine about a decade ago 'They' (the performance modifications contributors) were going to run an engine on the dyno and chiseled open the drive-by-wire throttle body and put a cable and fabbed up a bracket for it to do away with the electronic nonsense interference...

Back to your question...

First, refer back to the previous post...and if you still are unconvinced....

I imagine it can be done but the computor system has to monitor throttle position so it can command injector pulse and pulse timing...

So...if you want to reverse-engineer what you need to accomplish what you want...it is going to take a general understanding of the whole system to make it all work...by that time you have enough knowledge of the system that you can diagnose and correct any trouble you wil have with it...so the problem becomes a non-issue...

I would venture that a lot of people have wondered the same question...

This is why I bought an older truck...but I am going to have to spend some money on it to get the power that I want out of it...

and...I have replaced the throttle cable on it...that was easy...

Hope you find your way on getting things to the way you want them...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine it can be done but the computor system has to monitor throttle position so it can command injector pulse and pulse timing...
On a powerstroke there is absolutely nothing for a cable to operate. The TPS is attached to the throttle pedal, it's signal is sent directly to the pcm. After the pcm computes everything a signal is sent to the idm telling it how many milliseconds to hold the injector solenoid open.

There was a discussion in another thread a couple weeks ago about converting a powerstroke to an idi. This is pretty much the equivalent of that.

Converting it to a mechanical injection pump like an idi or mechanically driven injectors like an old Detroit are the only way for a throttle cable to do you any good.

With either of those options you could buy 100 spare pedal assemblies and still spend less money than converting it to use a cable.

James

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a powerstroke there is absolutely nothing for a cable to operate.
Hold my beer...

Don't tell me that I can't do at least SOMETHING...even if it is just a cable that works a potentiometer that makes a recording of a blown, injected, Top Fuel Hemi making a four second pass down the track...louder in proportion to the throttle opening...

Talk about mashing the loud pedal....

That would be another spin on a 'Happy Tooter'...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold my beer...

Don't tell me that I can't do at least SOMETHING...even if it is just a cable that works a potentiometer that makes a recording of a blown, injected, Top Fuel Hemi making a four second pass down the track...louder in proportion to the throttle opening...

Talk about mashing the loud pedal....

That would be another spin on a 'Happy Tooter'...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Some knight rider "enthusiasts"(read that....."weirdos") have their TPS wired to a thing with a speaker that makes the "turbine" sound when they rev their engine. The same group has it set to make the scanner sound too.

So yeah, anything is possible if you can keep throwing $$$ at it.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Wasn't looking to be the one to reinvent the wheel here folks. Alot of kits to swap other drive by wire make and modles. Litterally just seeing if the 7.3 ps happened to fall into that category. I.e. someone else has already made kits to account for all pcm signals, throttle bodies, injector duration etc. and built a kit that I am unaware of. I'm familiar enough with the 7.3 ps to keep it running and half **** diagnose issues. Just tired of the accelerator pedal being an issue. Replace it today, may have to replace it next week, may last a few years before another issue occurs. Just wondered if there was a kit to alleviate the drive by wire issue. Tried the bs from auto-zone, tried napas bs, now as of last week on the stealerships pedal assy. It always fixes my issue once I bend the metal tab so that I don't have a dead spot between idle and 1500 rpm, but the life expectancy has always been short in my opinion. And as always, depending on manufacture differs slightly in how long it lasts. Or is the stealership the only place to get this particular part and expect any longevity?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Inside the cab is probably a better overall environment for longevity than under the hood.

When I had my F350, I did consider having a dash mounted knob/dial, on a double throw switch. That way you could have manual 'throttle' control as needed.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly when it comes to the powerstroke platform, OEM is the only way to go. You can buy the chain store crap but it has a short life span, if it works at.

Don't buy any sensors for a 7.3 unless they are Motorcraft or IHC.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a possible 7.3 PS swap into my truck recently because a wrecked truck showed up on the radar but now I know definitely NOT...

Why would I want to buy a four(six) wheeled aggravating money pit..?

Eff that crap...(putting it nicely...)

Thanks for turning me back around, guys...

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piece of cake

Don't understand the fear of drive-by-wire or the sensors on a 7.3 PSD

Its really basic compared to the stuff on vehicles today.

Buy OEM or equivalent and not Amazon Chinese junk and you'll be fine.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
No fear of drive by wire, it's just junk. Simple cable has worked forever, now replaced by 2 or more failure points followed by throttle lag and rely on a copper wire to transmit a signal easily chewed through by rodents. Not all truck owners live in the city. We can go back and fourth on that one all day and never reach a resolution of opinion I'm sure. I'm 36 and the majority of vehicles I grew up with were drive by wire and never been fond of it. Just another way of making sure average Joe doesn't want to work on his own vehicle so some shop can take him for all he has. IL take the advise to use oem cause it makes since. Never used amazon stuff on my trucks but guilty of using chain stores products such as auto zone napa and orilys. I just hate stealership prices cause they are no better than the mechanics about overcharging. No way a small metal pedal with a few plastic sensors and plugs should cost 397.23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online