IDI Serpentine Belt

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why the V-belt system is far superior. Less single-point-of-failure... and they don't make that squeak-squeak-squeak sound.

I had the tensioner bolt literally snap off a month after I bought my '93; I guess it was over-torqued.
That was a fun night - limping it to O'Reilly's, pulling half the brackets off to get to it, and then drilling and easy-outing the bolt...

As far as belt length goes, though, I've gotten 2 new belts for my '93. Got one at Napa, and they gave me one too /long/ first(turned out to be the Leece Neville alternator part), then the right one.

When I went to O'Reilly's, they got the belt right the first time around, no issues at all.

I would completely disagree. there is a very good reason ALL automobile makers have done away with v-belts.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you cannot mod the open spring tensioner to a closed spring.
you MUST get the closed spring tensioner bracket.
my research, and experience proves that the open spring design can only be bolted up 1 way, but the spring rides on a piece of aluminum.
hardened steel to cast aluminum, IMO there Is bound to be issues.
with the closed spring design, what retains the position of the tensioner is a hole in the cast aluminum bracket, and the cast nipple on the tensioner.
when you bolt the closed spring tensioner on the correct bracket, you get zero feed back on the threads in the alumuinum.
with the open spring design, youre fighting the actual spring.
it rides on a ramp designed to hold the spring and provide tension to the tensioner.
with aluminum threads IMO this is less desirable.

I will be taking off a closed spring design serp system in the next few days if anyone wants pics.

If you end up with an extra bracket, I'd be interested. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CLB got my last one.
the set Im taking off is going on another engine

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian.Your tensioner is hanging on the wall, with your name on it.
I just buttoned mine up.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weather holds up till next week the bike is calling to me....it needs some delta breeze.
We will see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online