IDI Race Engine

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out if couriosity if money wasnt an object what kind of horse power can you get out of one of these engines. A friend of mine and i were talking and he is building a 68 Chevel and is gonna put a big block in it and i am trying to convince him to go diesel. I have seen some fummins engine at pretty high HP numbers but what can you get from an IDI

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...this comes up so frequently it should be a sticky...

Lets look at whats KNOWN..

Hypermax made some ungodly beast of an engine did like 1000 HP but....totally not daily driver stuff at all

the two

Justins NMB2 and Racin N Drummin broke well into hi 300 was 376 hp if I recall and 67??? lbs torque...

There is thoughts that they will crack 400 HP soon...

So there that's about what I know....

Anyone else with more will chime in I'm sure...

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car will definately be a trailer queen. He is looking right now at putting a 671 blower on a fuel injected 572ci GM Performance engine. He is looking for 1000-1200HP

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car will definately be a trailer queen. He is looking right now at putting a 671 blower on a fuel injected 572ci GM Performance engine. He is looking for 1000-1200HP

A 6-71 is a tad small though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The hypermax idi needed rubber freeze plugs because the factory plugs would not stay in. The block was flexing too much. The same engine is alive in Ill from the last info we had on it...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's going to be seriously let down if he is shooting for 1000hp and sticks any IDI in there. 6.5L is lighter and makes higher HP easier than ford IDI's as well as does well in higher RPM's. 2 of mine spin 4200 easy and there are a few on the road that break 5000rpm (properly balanced and have a fluid damper)

Dmax is light and makes the power he is after with ease so to speak (since money isnt an object). LLY or LBZ engine Carillo Rods and delipped 16.5:1 pistons, studs, twin CP3's, Twins, and all of the little things w/ EFILIVE and you can have a streetable 1000hp diesel car. Plenty of ~1000hp on the road.

Last edited:

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins are longer and taller and heavier than a Dmax and they dont have the have the high hp potential either. Dmax still holds the claim for high hp diesel, PS and Cummins are following close though.