idi lift pump

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that I had an oil leak but it turns out it is the lower left pump on my 7.3. Have been doing a lot of research on this and just wanted to ask what is the best way to replace this what brand pump should I use and how involved is this doing? I hear that you have to turn the motor over to get the cam at its lowest point never have done anything like this before

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the funds to buy a facet Duralift electric pump, I would buy that. Very durable and the even have their own filter. In the IDI tech articles there is an article to convert to this electric pump.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay thank you is this kind of like a mechanical fuel pump delete like in a powerstroke 7.3
Read the articles in the tech section regarding installation of an electric pump, that will most likely answer your questions and enable you to understand what is involved.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Changing out the mechanical lift pump can be tuff but its doable. It has one gasket. Two bolts and two fuel lines. Please replace the rubber fuel line either way if you replace the mechanical or install an electric pump. About 7 lbs pressure is all you need. Any more and it can change the timing in the pump. If you install an electric please do not pump thru the mechanical lift pump. That will rupture the rubber diaphram and flood the oil pan with diesel. Then youe engine grinds to a stop because diesel is not an oil like is used in our engines for lubrication. Once the old pump is removed have someone crank the engine till you see the cam lobe at its highest point. Then install the leg of the mechanical pump UNDER the cam lobe. If you install it on top of the lobe the arm breaks off.. Now if you go with any electrical pump you will need a big block chevy fuel pump block off plate available everywhere. Just make sure its installed correctly. some of them are long and they rest on the top machined area above the mechanical lift pump. That small lip will cause a big oil leak. Please do read all you can about changing the mechanical or upgrading to and electric pump.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you guys for all the great information yes I will really read up and check up on this. I did notice when I bought this truck that they do have a small electric fuel pump under the hood that was wired to a title switch inside but they did cut the wires on that I'm guessing that they had it wired to the mechanical pump not real sure what aLl theyhad going on there

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need a big block chevy fuel pump block off plate available everywhere. Just make sure its installed correctly. some of them are long and they rest on the top machined area above the mechanical lift pump. That small lip will cause a big oil leak.

This happened to me. It's not really easy to see up in there to see what's going on.

IIRC, the Spectre brand is the block off plate you want. A bit of oil-safe RTV never hurt anyone either LOL

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very easy to replace the lift pump if you have the v belt system. Remove your v belt from the vacuum pump. Next remove the vacuum pump. Now you will have access to the lift pump. There are two bolts holding the lift pump in place. The head of the bolts are 9/16. The one in front is easy the one in back takes a little patience to get too. If I remember right the metal hose connections are 5/8th coming off the lift pump.

Last edited:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My next purchase is a duralift. I tried installing my holley red tonight, and it wouldn't even let the truck idle correctly. I hooked the mechanical pump back up for now and it still works fine.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very easy to replace the lift pump if you have the v belt system. Remove your v belt from the vacuum pump. Next remove the vacuum pump. Now you will have access to the lift pump. There are two bolts holding the lift pump in place. The head of the bolts are 9/16. The one in front is easy the one in back takes a little patience to get too. If I remember right the metal hose connections are 5/8th coming off the lift pump.

I honestly didn't even have to remove them. I DID remove the negative battery cable mount that holds the positive on its way to the starter when I did mine. The old metal line to the filter head was a pain to get off, some idiot rounded off the hex. Still, not that bad overall.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was it getting the cam in place are you guys going through the fender well or from the bottom or top

most people use a mirror ive never had luck doing this so i just make sure the arm is under the eccentric on the cam and install.. maybe ive been lucky?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my electric pump (just a plain jane from Napa that had the correct fittings and fuel pressure) I could not find the blocking plate nearby so I just closed-looped a viton fuel line onto the input and output of the mechanical. Was going to block it some day with a plate, but has been there for a couple years now, not hurting anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online