identifying a auxiliary transmission?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i know some on here are using brownies on our trucks, i think thats the the are called, i know its an aux transmission. does anyone have a picture of one? how do i know what it is? i think i found one and can get it cheap but i have no idea how to tell, i know it is an aux transmission but its pretty big and looks like a 2 speed

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its at a junk yard so i dont have a pic of it, but its on a truck like this in the picture, is this to big? i mean i have a 6 speed eaton transmission i am putting in my truck when i can get a sae 2 bellhousing so i am sure this would be nice behind it as the 6 speed doesnt have overdrive
You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how does it shift?
is there a actual second stick or a pull/push electric switch on the stick?
RDSL has adapted a brownie from something that big into his truck. his has an actual stick for shifting in/out.
reason why I ask is most straight trucks of that vintage have electric shift two speed rear ends.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt see any shifter for it but on the transmission itself it looks like there are two shafts on the right hand side that i would assume have are the shifters and had it go up to the cab, cant really tell because in the cab there is a giant hole in the floor were many things could have been

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt see any shifter for it but on the transmission itself it looks like there are two shafts on the right hand side that i would assume have are the shifters and had it go up to the cab, cant really tell because in the cab there is a giant hole in the floor were many things could have been
dumb question.
two separate transmissions right? one big honking ******* and a smaller pickup sized one behind it?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct, one big transmission and then some drive shaft then the smaller one, only thing is the smaller one is almost as big as the big one

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct, one big transmission and then some drive shaft then the smaller one, only thing is the smaller one is almost as big as the big one

that sounds more like a quad box(multi under/over) than a brownie (over/direct/under). it might be a little too big for you. you have to remember, every gear soaks up a little horsepower and torque coming out of the motor.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea thats what i was wondering, i didnt think it was a brownie, i can get it for 200 bucks or less is why i was considering it but i wanted to know first, if i go out there this weekend ill get some pics of it and put it on here, i need a new high idle solenoid so i might head out there,

Jake2670

Reaction score
Hmmm, didn't think about pwr lose on gear box, I'm wanting to put one behind my 6.2L banks with NV4500, any thoughts, this is one of 2 boxs I'm looking at, hmmm can't get em to post here, I have pics uploaded to Google+ under Jake2670, I'll also put a video on YouTube under Jake2670 also

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use photo bucket to post pictures on here, i know there is always loss of power through the power train but its not like an automatic transmission, they have allot more slippage, and unless the torque converter clutch is engaged (if the transmission has one) then your losing allot more power than a manual gear shift would, and the torque converter clutch only engages at or around 43 mph and disengages once you hit the brakes or go below that speed, so unless your driving on the highway it really doesn't do much and it still doesn't get rid of all the slippage only most of it, i dont think using a axillary transmission is going to cause much of a difference in power

Jake2670

Reaction score
yeah, thats kinda what I was thinking ford350man, well it looks like the google+ is not searchable, but I have pics n vid uploaded on DropBox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlezogypx7n3c4d/zwB1S4WS_j/marks old gmc so they can b seen there, hate can't post right to this site cause most prob won't go there n really like to find out what this is, guess I'll just put all the #s here that r on the case looking at case from inside to outside of box, writing running up n down 1st row - a circle n looks to b "CFD" 2nd row - "229or08545" then circle made of dots with teardrop in middle 3rd row - has a raised tab with 310 or 3-10 on it then what looks like a 53. I had said this was a 48, but he said its a 54, so I'm thinking this 3rd row may be the manufacturing date.

thanks for the help guys,