i want a T19 or zf5!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i dont have a problem getting a T19 or T18. i can get them pretty easily out of an F150 for dirt cheap.

but i was looking at the gearing of the zf5, and i like that one too!

either way im going to have to switch out the rears for 3.55's or taller.

does anyone have a good zf5 around CT just laying around?

and could anyone give me fuel mileage for a 7.3idi cc drw with a zf or a 4 speed?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sorry I couldnt tell ya where to get a tranny, you just have to look around.

I think Tonkas old truck was just about what you have, and he swapped in 3.08 gears and was doing over 20mpg highway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '92 gets 13-14mpg. It's not that good due to the loose nut behind the wheel. My rpm's are usually found between 2500-3800rpm depending on traffic conditions. check my sig line for the specs on the truck.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
3800rpms :eek: . Dang, mine cackles like no tommorow at 3300 rpm's, I mean I will pass somebody in 3rd doing 60mph which is around 3200rpm's, and I can hear it cackling off there rig into mine and its loud as crap.......I cant even imagine what 3800 rpm's would be like.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a t-19 4x4 tranny for sale. it comes with flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate.... high mileage make me an offer if you ar interested..

Matt

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a problem getting a T19 or T18. i can get them pretty easily out of an F150 for dirt cheap.

but i was looking at the gearing of the zf5, and i like that one too!

either way im going to have to switch out the rears for 3.55's or taller.

does anyone have a good zf5 around CT just laying around?

and could anyone give me fuel mileage for a 7.3idi cc drw with a zf or a 4 speed?

Will the tranny out of a gasser (F150) even work? I know the T18/19 have a removeable bellhousing, but you would still have to find a bellhousing for a diesel. You will also need to make sure the clutch (input shaft) and PP (flywheel bolt pattern) will be compatible.

I just want to make sure you know that the ZF is going to have to be one from a diesel as well. The bellhousing from a gasser won't bolt up.

All that being said, I have a T19 with a transfer case from a 4x4, and a ZF5 from a 2WD. Too bad you're so far away...

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasser tranny will work, I just put a t-18 from a gasser in my truck, T-18/19, NP435 should all be the same input shaft and bolt pattern(as far as I know) . The 435 and the t18 are wide ratio transmissions, (I think I read that some 19's where too, depending on what they where used for?) There is a website somewhere that has the gearing differances between the two(I will see if I can find it). I like my t18, but I do not tow with it and have 3.54 gears. Hope I didnt bore you with my misc. Ramblings.:dunno :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3800rpms :eek: . Dang, mine cackles like no tommorow at 3300 rpm's, I mean I will pass somebody in 3rd doing 60mph which is around 3200rpm's, and I can hear it cackling off there rig into mine and its loud as crap.......I cant even imagine what 3800 rpm's would be like.
I don't do it in any other gear other than 5th. You can play with the max gov setting but you better be willing to "pay the price" for doing so. I only do it to my own trucks since I know better than to get rough with the throttle when I'm up there. Nice thing about a CC dually, it's the poor saps to the right and behind you that gets blasted with the noise:D

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasser tranny will work, I just put a t-18 from a gasser in my truck, T-18/19, NP435 should all be the same input shaft and bolt pattern(as far as I know) . The 435 and the t18 are wide ratio transmissions, (I think I read that some 19's where too, depending on what they where used for?) There is a website somewhere that has the gearing differances between the two(I will see if I can find it). I like my t18, but I do not tow with it and have 3.54 gears. Hope I didnt bore you with my misc. Ramblings.:dunno :D

BUT you already had the diesel bellhousing to mate it to - right?

I'm 99.9% sure the gasser bellhousing won't mate up to the diesel engine without some serious modification. So you have to use the bellhousing off the diesel version of the T19/T18....

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT you already had the diesel bellhousing to mate it to - right?

I'm 99.9% sure the gasser bellhousing won't mate up to the diesel engine without some serious modification. So you have to use the bellhousing off the diesel version of the T19/T18....

Right, You have to swap out the bellhousing cause NO Gasser bellhousing will work.......At least without extensive modification(7.5L):eek:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. i am a lot more prepared for the swap to come with the help from the site on previous posts. yes definatly would need a diesel bell housing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin